Injector return line confusion...

Chrono558

Reaction score
Let me preface this by saying the previous owner or his "mechanic" did this and all I want to do now is to fix is properly without having to worry about it again.

The past few mornings I've been having the issue of crank, runs for three seconds then the engine wants to die unless I baby it with the pedal. It's obvious I have air intrusion and I can see the return caps on #5 and #7 are wet which means I need a new return line kit. My truck being a '89 should have the older style return kit but it appears that I have the newer style installed since I'm seeing most of the caps with an offset and red hose clamps

You must be registered for see images attach

Looking at the valve where all the return lines connect to going back to the gas tank is where I'm getting confused. I'm not sure if this is sized for 3/16" hose or 1/4" hose.

There is a return line running from the #1 cap back to the fuel filter as well but has both green and red clamps on it...

Pretty much at this point I'm just needing to know whether to get the old or new style kit and take it from there. I am planning on doing the re-route as shown on the Conestoga website. With that return valve in the back I was thinking it should be using 3/16" but if it does have 1/4" on it and it's not leaking... <shrug> If more information is needed or better pictures taken, let me know and I'll answer. I also see a new CDR valve in the future as well...

Picture of the leaking caps.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
green = 6.9
red = 7.3
really don't matter much as long as its sealed.
bad part is, they can leak just by looking at them.

I delete that hard line from the IP to the rear of the engine.
all 1/4 lines on my rig.

IP return line goes to #2 cap. w/ 1/4" return line hose
no return line from filter
brass T w/ 2 1/4's and 1 5/16 to the tank.

I would post a pic of my return line system,
but I don't wanna make anyone envious :D

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Generally its believed that first pic of the brass header is the smaller size barbs. You ca delete this fittig and the hard lie to the top of the injection pump too. Find most any later 7.3 engine and rob the fitting at the number 8 cylinder where you now have this brass fitting. BTW that fitting appears to have a micky moused bit of hose going from the smaller barb to the larger return hose that you now are running.

Chrono558

Reaction score
Yeah, I was wondering why it was double-clamped like that on the return line coming from #8 going to the tee fitting. The problem with my area is that IDI trucks are very scare in the salvage yards and are usually picked clean before I can get any parts off of them. I highly doubt I'd be able to find the fitting from a newer IDI to swap in there. I'm seriously thinking of getting a brass tee fitting with x2 1/4" barbs and x1 5/16" barb and just run with that instead. From what I've read on here in regards to routing the return lines I should be OK with the following routing:

Fuel filter return line to #1 cap.
Injector Pump return line to #2 cap.
#7 cap to brass tee.
#8 cap to brass tee.

This would allow me to remove the hard return line and thus remove an olive from the fuel system (no complaints there). The one area I'm getting some conflicting information on is if I need to change out the fitting in the fuel filter head. I "think" there is a check valve of some sort in there but that it also came in 3/16" or 1/4" sizes. If that is the case how can I check for this and where can I get a new fitting if needed?

And IDIoit, I've seen teaser picks of that setup and you're right... I'd be jealous :D

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The old protected line from number 7 under the back of the intake to number 8 injector is a smaller lie. I'm betting it split trying to force on the number 7 return caps barb. You must repalce that line with 1/4 inch if you change the fitting like you think at number 8. Also will eed a 1/4 inch barb fitting for the retur off the top of the injection pump. then it dumps from the topinto the number 2 injector return cap.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
stud cracked the block, I was running a R&D stud and girdle kit,
must have cracked when I torqued them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance