Injector removal question

leftcoastjeff

Frankentruck lover
Reaction score
One of my injectors has come loose and I have retightened
This time I didn't shoot pb blaster on it, (to see bubbles) loosened the line and tried, no go!
So now I try to remove said injector.
It appears that it has stopped rising as I spin it.
Questions are;
Is the valve cover stopping it?
Is it stuck, how to remove?
This is my dd, I may just put it back for now, runs like crap and smokes pretty good when cold
Lcjeff

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Injector body is probably unscrewing.
When it came loose before, probably got carbon in there.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

gandalf

Reaction score
Injector body is probably unscrewing.
When it came loose before, probably got carbon in there.

If this is indeed what is happening, the injector body is unscrewing from the injector tip, you need to make a special tool to extract the tip. Take an injector body, without the tip, and grind the thread off, so that it will slip down the bore to the stuck tip. It will be perfectly alligned with the tip, so just screw it into the tip. The injector threads are gone, so it will not catch on the bore threads. The male threads on the reworked injector body with screw into the female threads of the injector tip. Tighten it down, and just keep turning, tightening. This will break the tip loose, and you can draw it out. Don't unscrew it to get it out, those threads are gone, just pull it out.

Attached is a picture of my "injector tip rescuer" which I made for the same reason. In the picture the tip is screwed onto the body.

You must be registered for see images attach

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Wait, it's probably just stuck.
I missed the quit raising part.
I would shoot something down around the injector, then keep working it in and out.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't get the body out, but I have fashioned the tool, almost

Going to put it back for now,

Lcjeff

Can't really .."put it back together" like you plan, IIRC there is more to it than what you see/think.

Get it out and then you could reassemble it and add a new copper washer..but seriously I don't think it will work correctly by just screwing it in. One you cannot properly tighten the injector tip down. notice in gandalf's image it has a 12 point end, that allows it to be held with a socket or wrench? That is how you need to tighten it.

Yer in for the penny, best deal with it before things cost way way more!

JM2CW

gandalf

Reaction score
I think we need just a bit of clarification on this. You recently said that the body is turning but not coming out of the hole? It's finished unthreading, is free turning, but will not come out? A couple comments if that is the case.

IF that is the case, then you don't really know whether the tip has come unscrewed or not. You might not need the specially made tip extractor. OTOH, it never hurts to have one on hand.

If the body will not come out of the hole, then you MIGHT be able to screw it back in. However, you have no idea, really, about the tip. In theory it would screw onto the body as you screwed the body back into the hole. BUT it wouldn't be tight, and would probably leak lots of fuel at the joint. I would suggest not driving the truck until you have that injector replaced, other than in a dire emergency.

Once you're sure that the body is totally unscrewed you may have to simply worry it out, wiggle it around and pull and wiggle some more. If it's totally unscrewed and won't pull out, you're probably dealing with carbon buildup, and other assorted crap in there. WD40, penetrating oil, stuff like that, won't usually work on carbon. They won't break down the carbon. The carbon isn't sealing anything, it's just blocking things from coming out.

Be careful not to damage the threads holding the injector down in the bore. If they get damaged you'll have a pretty significant problem.

leftcoastjeff

Frankentruck lover
Reaction score
OK, apparently, the injector tip did not come apart, I put a little pressure on it while turning back in and drove away smoking like a bandit.....got better as it warmed up.

my neighbors hate me

I think I need another injector, may need seat reamer and shotgun brush

Need to do in one day, any advice?

OBTW that injector looks different (in the area that the wrench fits) from the rest. that can't be good.

Well back to work,

LCjeff

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Do you know how many miles are on the injectors. If its near 125,000 miles usually they are well worn out by then. So get more and some get less but the 125,000 is the agreed mileage they seem to be shot.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If looking to replace injectors, I'd encourage you to also consider doing the IP as well for absolute best results.

However that isn't always financially feasable.

This for injectors I'd consider talking with Mel at www.conestogadiesel.com and he can help you out with a set of new BB's.

You will want to read lots on here about changing injectors and so forth...SEARCH is your friend. Have new ones, with new copper washers and a return line kit in hand. This will make sure you have the parts you need.

Now with prep work you can have or make an injector body removal tool in minutes if one does indeed come apart from the one that comes apart. Then you have NEW ones to install.

Get lots of reading done on what breaks down the carbo, plan for the evening you get off work and continue on the next day when you are OFF work.

JM2CW

Al

leftcoastjeff

Frankentruck lover
Reaction score
I have no idea how many miles, it's a transplant 6.9 in a 88 gasser frame.

Made the tip extraction tool and have a used injector on hand.

I have an extra line, maybe fashion some kind of slidehammer adapter?

Anybody done this yet?

Lcjeff

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an extra line, maybe fashion some kind of slidehammer adapter?

Anybody done this yet?

Lcjeff

YES and if you use ADVANCED search put in something in search for title like injector tool and my name the thread with the piece you are talking about is there showing what I have

SEARCH is your friend....

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, apparently, the injector tip did not come apart, I put a little pressure on it while turning back in and drove away smoking like a bandit.....got better as it warmed up.

my neighbors hate me

I think I need another injector, may need seat reamer and shotgun brush

Need to do in one day, any advice?

OBTW that injector looks different (in the area that the wrench fits) from the rest. that can't be good.

Well back to work,

LCjeff
come by on a weekend and you can borrow the tools necessary to clean up this mess and do the work under limited supervision. do bring a replacement injector at the same time. do SOMETHING soon before your rings are washed out.

leftcoastjeff

Frankentruck lover
Reaction score
I drive 10 miles a day, am I killing it quickly?

Thanks cat, I may do that. Coors original after noon?

I'd really like to be able to do this my self.

I made the tip removal tool and have an old injector.
Should I get a new one?

Still got to get the old one out.

Lcjeff

I still want the reamer and brush in my box.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I drive 10 miles a day, am I killing it quickly?

Thanks cat, I may do that. Coors original after noon?

I'd really like to be able to do this my self.

I made the tip removal tool and have an old injector.
Should I get a new one?

Still got to get the old one out.

Lcjeff

I still want the reamer and brush in my box.

I hear ha on wanting tools, I've gotta get a shot gun bore brush yet but I gotta reamer...

Last I heard Gary may have had one for sale aka icanfixall

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin