Injector question

TimMiller

Reaction score
My friend has a 6.9 IDI. I'm going to put in a rebuilt injector pump or if there is a better injector pump what is it? Also, can i put 7.3L IDI injectors into a 6.9L IDI, to give it more fuel, or would it help anything or just hydrolock it? Just an idea. He was trying to talk me into replacing the head gaskets and puttin in a turbocharger. I'm thinking a turbo would be reasonable, but the engine has 400k miles on it. It sounds a little high to me for a turbo.

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
My 6.9 has 7.3 injectors and pump. Get a pyro and watch your temps, you are basicly over fueling the 6.9 a bit, you won't notice much at normal running, but when you get your foot into it, it will show with some black ;)

TimMiller

Reaction score
This one already shows some black when you get your foot into it. But I also dont' want to blow anything up. Is a pyro important on a non turboed engine. I'm thinking i'm going to pull of his flow master muffler and let it go straight piped. It will probably help some things out.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TimMiller said:
Is a pyro important on a non turboed engine. I'm thinking i'm going to pull of his flow master muffler and let it go straight piped. It will probably help some things out.
Absolutely yes, a pyro is important on a non-turbo engine...in fact, some argue that a pyro is more critical on a n/a engine than on a turbo engine. Personally, I think a pyro should have been factory equipment on any diesel...OTOH, that would have given Ford one more gauge to Mickey-Mouse... *sigh*

Straight-piping an IDI is a great idea for the engine, although the law may say otherwise, depending on what sort of area you live in. I currently have no exhaust whatsoever on my turbo 6.9l, and haven't gotten in trouble...yet... :angel:

TimMiller

Reaction score
Also, he has a tach in the truck but its not hooked up (its aftermarket). Where can i wire the tach to? Also i'll put a pyro on the list and mount it in place of the clock in the center console.