Injector Pump...Do you think??

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Well after putting it off, I think the old gal is bucking for a new IP. Getting hard to start with new GP's and injectors. |stupid

She's also stuttering on startup and really giving the DMF a workout.
(I know Mel, got one at the shop to pick up and do the Lucky Mod:rtfm )
Also got some good power loss tonite and she was pretty noisy, but switching tanks with some Power Service with Lubricity helped but just prolonging the inevitable.-Flame Thr

Carl_F350

I Support the..
Reaction score
Is that your original IP ?

I too, would like to know the symptoms of an IP on it's last legs. :confused: I don't think mine's been rebuilt or changed out. I have 175K

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First, Carl, I have to ask...do you have any pictures of your snorkel setup? Where did you get it from?

Second, I believe there's more than one way an injector pump can fail. I've only seen one fail one way, so let me describe it below. This was on my truck, back in early 2002.

I was driving, and noticed that my engine sounded quieter than usual. All of a sudden, the engine got loud again and I started smelling raw diesel fuel. I found that one of my return lines between two injectors had busted, so I repaired it. Upon the repair, I couldn't get the truck started for the life of me, in spite of having good fuel at the schraeder valve on the fuel filter.

I pulled the elbow on the top of the injector pump that the "main" fuel return line attaches to, and also pulled the fitting that the elbow screws into. It turns out that this seemingly random fitting is a check valve. It also turned out that my check valve was completely full of crud, to the point where no fuel was going from the IP back to the tank. Once that was cleared out, the truck ran beautifully...for about 20 miles. Then it started running quietly, then started misfiring and giving me white smoke. I pulled the check valve again, to find that it had again been filled with crud.

The quiet-running and white smoke were indications of the pump timing being retarded too far back...and it turns out that as the fuel return flow gets restricted more and more, the pump timing retards in response for whatever reason. Furthermore, the crud that was clogging my return line check valve was bits and pieces of nylon, from a gear in the governor setup that was disintegrating. Upon finding this out, I replaced the IP, and all was well!

A bit long-winded; I apologize...but maybe this'll help. Again, this is only one method of IP failure; there are other ways it can happen. Last I heard, any IP with more than 100K miles on it is living on borrowed time...that said, some people have had IP's last over 200K miles, while some have had to replace them at 50K miles or lower.

Hope this helps some...good luck!! :)

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IP's have many failure modes. I've witnessed 3 types of IP death. The first was what I'll call :***: mode. This is when all of the sudden, out of the blue the truck starts to run like crap. Feels like your on a wild bull at the county fair. Lot's of funny timing noises (as was mentioned) going from loud to quite, various colors of smoke, etc. The next failure mode is death by leaking. That's the blown pump seal problem, where it runs fine but ***'s all over the place or if your real unlucky, fills your crankcase with diesel fuel. The last mode I've seen is the "I'm tired and I want to go to bed" mode, where it fails to start when heat soaked. Yes, the IP has many failure modes, but only one repair.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Originally posted by Carl_F350
Is that your original IP ?

I too, would like to know the symptoms of an IP on it's last legs. :confused: I don't think mine's been rebuilt or changed out. I have 175K

Yep,
Pretty sure as everything else except the GP's have been changed by PO. At least he had common sense to put in Motorcraft Beru. Got 262,000 on the IP so far and lke Mel said many failure types but mine is in the "going to bed stage" and just plain loosing power.-Down

If you have 175k on yours probably would be a good idea to start looking.

Ron:D

Carl_F350

I Support the..
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online