injector kit..... what are these?

tjcsr

Reaction score
Bought a kit from typ4

what are the larger rubbers in this kit?

You must be registered for see images attach

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those are the "olives" for the hard fuel lines. In and out at the filter, in at the IP, I believe on earlier 6.9 return at the back of the engine. I'm sure I missed somewhere, but you get the idea.

tjcsr

Reaction score
dang, have no clue about these. Have not read up on where they go. wasnt ready for more then o rings hose and caps.

thanks for reply.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wherever there is a nut on the fuel lines from the lift pump to the IP, there will be one of those Olives. you have to dig them out as they are really hardened.

finitetime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are the washers that go on the hard lines that run from the Injector pump to the injectors. It's a good Idea to change them but it's not like you cant go back and do it later.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are the washers that go on the hard lines that run from the Injector pump to the injectors. It's a good Idea to change them but it's not like you cant go back and do it later.

NO there not the washers, there the olives that go where I indicated above. Ya need glasses?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score

This is not correct but a nice try. The o rings do fit on the injectors but the rubber hose looking things are the olices like posted. On a 7.3 engine you have a line from the lift pump to the filter head inlt. In that brass nut is a large one of those olives. Thats the 3/8 inch size. Now the line feeding fuel from the filter outlet to the injection pump has a smaller brass fitting at each end. Thats where the 5/16 olives fit. Now on some engines the top of the injection pump had a hard line called the return line. Its 3/8 inch and has an olive in that brass nut too. Some engines no matter what 6.9 or 7.3 have a hard line running down the drivers side of the intake manifold and at the back end of it there is another brass fitting that has a 3/8 inch olive in it. These olives are usually tuff to remove so get some dental picks to work them out. Also soaking in brake fluid will soften them. Some just burn them out but I believe thats taking a chance of ruining the nuts or getting crap in the lines. Crap in the inlet side of the filter is no issue but the small 5/16 feed line to the injection pump is a problem for dirt. No dirt can be allowed to enter the injection pump. Any dirt. Even dirt you think is too small to harm anything will likely kill the pump. so care is needed working around this area. These olives side over the flair on the lines and the lines are pushed into the fitting till they bottom out. then the nut is tightened till you feel fair resistance. Thats all thats needed. Just make sure the olives squeezes the line and nut the flair.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NO there not the washers, there the olives that go where I indicated above. Ya need glasses?

Ya what he said^^^
;Poke cold weather n snow getting to ya Bill:rotflmao:rotflmao:sly

BTW to the OP or Original Poster....

Welcome to OB, seeing you don't know what ya got, PLEASE READ

FAQ, and START HERE and TECH section, then HALL OF SHAME...this will help to educate you so you know whats what and feel more confident in what you are doing and what you ask.

Al

:popcorn

racin460

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not to hijack the thread, I have to ask. How long are you guys getting out of the olives, on the dt466 in the 4700 internationals I know I put them darn things in all the time. were I work we have 5 rollbacks that seem to eat them. the drivers call me with no power,spitting and sputtering. I take a set out put them on and run great. and the old ones are all chewed up.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sounds like the engine vibration is killing the olives. Actually thats what these seals are designed to do. Stop the vibration that cracks the lines. Both Russ and Mel sell a feed line from the filter to the injection pump thats braided stainless steel. It replaces 2 of the olives in the system. We can replace the olive on the filter inlet by replacing that line with a rubber hose and 2 fittings that are barbed. Then the olive of the hard line off some injection pump can be removed by cutting off the line and using a new barbed fitting and 2 hose clamps plus a short length of 3/8 rubber hose. Some engines came like that. Mine sure did but it needs to be modified some for better working access. Or just do away with that line completely and run the return from the pump to the number 2 injector return cap. Then you will need a different fitting at the number 8 cylinder. thats where the other 3/8 olive fits in that three way manifold brass fitting. We have other fitting for that area.

tjcsr

Reaction score
Thanks Riot.been reading on here for 2-3 hours a day. Sucking in all the info i can.. old lady is starting to get pissed though, these olives just jumped up at me as i was starting to tear into the injector project.

Last edited:

gandalf

Reaction score
I'll agree with all the right answers above. The others are not so right.

What I'll actually do which might be useful is post a picture, one which I've posted several times before, but is still good for illustration. The hard line I show is the one running between the fuel filter head and the injector pump. You can see the mentioned nuts on it, and an old olive. Beside that is the new olive. Once the old olive is removed and the hard line cleaned up, grease things up and slide the new olive on the hard line. You will have an olive on both ends of that hard line.

You must be registered for see images attach

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Nice picture showing the important items we have been discussing here in this post. Nothing better than a pic.. Well maybe a video may be better..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online

No members online now.