injector diag

'85burner

Reaction score
i removed my injectors to test them at work and when i was pulling them i noticed the front 6 where all fairly wet with fuel at the tips and the 2 rear ones were dry with good amounts of soot i do have my timing retarded and pump turned up im just wonderig why 2 injectors were dry and 6 were wet thanks guys
n

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a theory. The wet ones are leaking, your testing should show that if so. The dry two are not leaking, the carbon build up is from too much fuel (pump turned up) you probably have some black smoke out the tailpipe. Retarded timing and fuel turned up, your just wasting expensive fuel.

Put your truck info in your signature.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Much more needs to be known about your truck and engine. How many miles on the engine. How many miles on the injectors and injection pump.
From what you describe it appears the wet injectors are leakers and the dry ones are seeing too much fuel. Do you haul heavy or just poke around town. Driving harder will burn off the soot but wont stop a leaky injector. If you feel replacing the injectors please read the Hall of shame forum up top. That way you will not be cheated by the ebay low cost sellers passing on crap to unsuspecting buyers.

'85burner

Reaction score
just tested the injectors sure enough 2 of them tested great popped @ around 1850 psi 2 other ones were popping @ the same psi but dribbling bad. the other 4 were shot either popping off @ anywhere between 1350 and 1550 psi and leaking bad and bad spray patterns

'85burner

Reaction score
120k miles on truck around 95k on pump. 4 speed not realy any towing or hauling more of a dd.
pump is slightly turned up. retarded a dimes width before the notch on pump housing

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sounds like a set of injectors are needed now. You might contact typ4 because he has some new yips as does Mel at Conestoga diesel in Pa. These are very good members of this forum and cheating you like a low ball ebay seller is not something they can or will do. Read the Hall of shame for sellers to avoid. As for the timing you have mentioned. Those lines have no meaning for timing. They could be 11 degrees advance on one engine and 5 degrees retarded on another . They are put there by the factory on that engine but never removed after that, So they are nothing to feel is correct.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Test injectors...if ok good reinstall with new copper washers if jot ok replace.

Get engine timed correctly

Nuff said