Injection pump question

Tarantula

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I have a 1983 Ford 6.9l that has a 1986 engine installed in it. It has an injection pump for an "International "S" engine installed in it and so has the governor speed set at 2750 RPM. I believe that I would be better served with a ford spec'd injection pump.

As you might imagine the truck is painfully slow running at this speed. I would like to know if I can merely install a new governor spring to get me up to the factory rated 3300 RPM (Or even 3800 to push it a bit!) or are there other concerns about how this pump is calibrated.

My injection pump ID is 69-8635 which is for an international engine. Is it possible to rebuild this pump to ford specifications (or calibrations) ???

Should I just break down and buy a rebuilt ford pump and try to ebay my existing one?

Second, does any one have a supply of governor springs for the DB2 injection pump? I am pretty sure I need a 6.2L chevy governor spring. Where can I get one at a reasonable price.

Thanks for any help you all can provide!

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
Hello,
I have a 1983 Ford 6.9l that has a 1986 engine installed in it. It has an injection pump for an "International "S" engine installed in it and so has the governor speed set at 2750 RPM. I believe that I would be better served with a ford spec'd injection pump.

As you might imagine the truck is painfully slow running at this speed. I would like to know if I can merely install a new governor spring to get me up to the factory rated 3300 RPM (Or even 3800 to push it a bit!) or are there other concerns about how this pump is calibrated.

My injection pump ID is 69-8635 which is for an international engine. Is it possible to rebuild this pump to ford specifications (or calibrations) ???

Should I just break down and buy a rebuilt ford pump and try to ebay my existing one?

Second, does any one have a supply of governor springs for the DB2 injection pump? I am pretty sure I need a 6.2L chevy governor spring. Where can I get one at a reasonable price.

Thanks for any help you all can provide!

Mel, who goes by Agnem on this forum is the master of masters on rebuilding and modifying DB2 pumps. He may see this thread and chime in but if not send a PM to him and he can steer you in the right direction.........

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Its not really hard to swap the springs but you have to be super careful doing so, cause if you mess something up it can runaway from you, i have done it and i wouldnt be afraid to do it a thousand times a day, its really simple and easy, but you just have to put it back together right, as you can see i chose really high rom, mine will tach 4500, but i dont reckomend that

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Before buying for ebay read the Hall of Shame forum first... That will save you lots of wasted time and money... We have first hand experiance about buying from anyone listed in that forum...

Last edited:

Tarantula

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Min/max governor

Does the higher R spring help raise the "flat spot" when you're shifting?

I am not sure if the governor spring only controls the minimum and maximum RPM. or if it also may shifts the power curve a bit as well. I have read conflicting reports on the internet about this.

Personally I don't see how the governor spring could effect the power band much if any, but I have heard rumors of such.

Tarantula

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hall of shame

Before buying for ebay read the Hall of Shamr forum first... That will save you lots of wasted time and money... We have first hand experiance about buying from anyone listed in that forum...

Yes, I will check out the hall of shame before buying anything. My pump was rebuilt last year so I would really hate to be replacing it..... I just cannot take my 35 miles per hour top speed in third gear any longer! The original ford spec pump would get me to 45 in third gear which is a big deal when trying to merge onto the interstate highway!

mariner45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://igor.chudov.com/manuals/Stanadyne-Roosa-Master/

Check out this link - it covers the DB2 injector pumps. It is about 29 or 30 pages and you should be able to zoom in and enlarge the pages. I don't know if it will be of any help to you - it is about all I can offer I'm afraid.

This might be of help to others as well. I was sent it by Igor Chudov, who bought the manual off of ebay I believe. Anyway, there is a fair bit of information but I don't know if it is complete - maybe Mel could comment on that.

mariner

Tarantula

Full Access Member
Reaction score
awesome information!

http://igor.chudov.com/manuals/Stanadyne-Roosa-Master/

Check out this link - it covers the DB2 injector pumps. It is about 29 or 30 pages and you should be able to zoom in and enlarge the pages. I don't know if it will be of any help to you - it is about all I can offer I'm afraid.

This might be of help to others as well. I was sent it by Igor Chudov, who bought the manual off of ebay I believe. Anyway, there is a fair bit of information but I don't know if it is complete - maybe Mel could comment on that.

mariner

That link has some very useful information! Thanks !

mariner45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have that manual i got off stanadynes site and it has proved quite useful

Hi,

Wold you be willing to share what you have ? The pages I have are only part of the manual as far as I can see and I don't what all else is missing.

I have tried on several occasions to look for this manual on Stanadynes websites, but no luck. It is possible that it can only be accessed through the dealers section.

Thanks in advance

mariner

mariner45

Full Access Member
Reaction score

FordCoalRoller

IDI Probbie
Reaction score
No problem at all. After I found that manual and read through it I am seriously considering rebuilding a used pump because of the ease the manual breaks it down to.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
only issue with rebuilting your own pump is the calibration afterwards. and finding wear parts like the cyl on the bottom of the pump. they get scored.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online