Injection pump question

mariner45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
only issue with rebuilting your own pump is the calibration afterwards. and finding wear parts like the cyl on the bottom of the pump. they get scored.

US Diesel in texas sells wear parts - see

http://www.usdiesel.com/dieselinjection.htm

I have considered working on the injection pump on my JD450 crawler loader. The fuel injection pump is essentially a DB2 with a slightly different physical configuration - and only four pencil injectors to drive :D Very easy to get at and remove compared to the ones on the 6.9 engine :thumbsup:

mariner

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can help you with either a GM govenor spring (4000 RPM) or a factory Ford one. However, I would suggest to you that your best option is to just get a reman pump of the correct model. Your current pump is probably already worn, and trying to do this stuff yourself is not a fun use of your time. Results are iffy at best, and you don't have this....

You must be registered for see images

There's about 100 parts if you choose to take one apart, and they look like this....

I've taken quite a few apart. I've never put ANY together. I wouldn't want to, and knowing what really needs to be done to properly rebuild one of these. Almost every (about 29 out of 30) pumps needs to have the advance piston replaced, and the advance bore sleeved and dressed. I have much better things to do with my Saturday then sit in front of a jigsaw puzzle, and I do NOT like putting pumps on and off of trucks multiple times trying to solve issues (which I have had to do during the course of R&D). However, if you try and fail, you can send me your basket of parts and I can have it made into a whole pump for you again. Just don't loose that tiny little ball that's in there... (about 3/32" diameter) if it rolls out, you'll never know it, and never find it.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get ready Mel for a whole bunch of questions. Now we need a new section.

DB2 IP REBUILD-WHAT THE HELL DID I DO WRONG :dunno

or maybe this

I REBUILT MY IP-NOW MY ENGINE WON'T STOP

or this

DIDN'T KNOW IT WOULD REV UP THAT HI

or this

WHAT WAS THAT GOVERNOR SPRING P/N# ?

or this

HOW MUCH IS THAT TEST MACHINE?

:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL I know there is a lot of folks who wish these things were like carberators and were something you could rebuild on a dirty work bench in a half hour, but it is what it is. :dunno All those injection pump shops exist because it just really isn't something that Joe Schmoe is set up to do. A lot of guys don't want to accept this fact, and I'm ok with that. Occasionally we hear about somebody who did their own pump and souped it up or whatever, and they were sucessfull and that may be true. But when we hear stories like that, we don't hear ALL the story. I consider myself to be a pretty intellegent guy, and yea if I was on a desert island, and getting off meant having to get one of these pumps to work I could probably do it, but while the pumps may seem simple, and the number of parts manageable, there is a big difference between a rebuild that results in a pump that will work correctly, deliver the right timing curve, proper fuel delivery, and LAST a long time, versus something that somebody lucked out on and which seems to work out and is doing the job.

Tarantula

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great picture.

I can help you with either a GM govenor spring (4000 RPM) or a factory Ford one. However, I would suggest to you that your best option is to just get a reman pump of the correct model. Your current pump is probably already worn, and trying to do this stuff yourself is not a fun use of your time. Results are iffy at best, and you don't have this....

There's about 100 parts if you choose to take one apart, and they look like this....

I've taken quite a few apart. I've never put ANY together. I wouldn't want to, and knowing what really needs to be done to properly rebuild one of these. Almost every (about 29 out of 30) pumps needs to have the advance piston replaced, and the advance bore sleeved and dressed. I have much better things to do with my Saturday then sit in front of a jigsaw puzzle, and I do NOT like putting pumps on and off of trucks multiple times trying to solve issues (which I have had to do during the course of R&D). However, if you try and fail, you can send me your basket of parts and I can have it made into a whole pump for you again. Just don't loose that tiny little ball that's in there... (about 3/32" diameter) if it rolls out, you'll never know it, and never find it.

That is a great picture. Some of the late 20th century fully MECHANICAL systems like the roosa-master pump are truly marvels of mechanical engineering.