Injection Pump Issues on 7.3

brdmh44

Midwest Chopper
Reaction score
Hi there, just got another one of my IDI powered Ford trucks running again - I removed a blown up motor and installed a good used 7.3 I had laying around. After initial fire up, a few problems have made themselves present.

1. The truck runs rough at idle/has a fairly steady miss - The fuel return caps and line have been replaced, and the feed line has also been replaced. It also has quality diesel in the tanks as well.

I also did a cylinder balance test to verify the above issue wasn't caused by a faulty injector - It tested ok.

2. When sitting at a stop light, it will rev from idle to around 1100 rpm, then slowly idle down to its normal RPM at idle in gear. - I verified no issues with the with the throttle cables - at "idle" or with my foot off the pedal, no binding is occuring.

With the above being said - is it possible for the govener in the pump to be causing these issues?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Brad

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Have you ran a heavy dose of some type of cleaner through it? If it's sat a while, things might be sticky. I like to pull the fuel filter and fill it with diesel clean or the like, then start it up. A good does will go through and then be sent to mix with the fuel in the tanks.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I concur with Scott - dose the heck out of her. I have had good luck with Stanadyne branded products in the past. Only problem is they are only sold typically through injection pump shops. I know others have had good luck with Diesel Clean as Scott mentioned.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
A cheap easy injection pump and injector cleaner is just ATF. Remove the fuel filter and pour out the diesel. then fill it with ATF. Restart and run the engine for about 2 minutes and shut it down. Let it sit overnite. Fire it up the next day and run it like you stole it. Cheap... Easy and fun as hell running the doors off it. Or just drive it sanely and enjoy....:dunno:sly