I'm thinking about building a new truck to add to the fleet.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I'm thinking about building another truck. I want an extended cab 4x4 dually with a C-6. I'm not sure the best way to go about this. I have an '87 ext cab F250 available but wonder if the 250 frame and TTB front will be up to dually duty.

I have a 2wd ext cab dually that I could possibly source as well. That one is an OBS so I'd have to swap a C6 in and make it 4x4. The up side is that a D60 would be on deck for that one.

The scope of work will include towing a large stump grinder and putting the grinder on the front of the truck when in use. The truck would have to be able to drive through the holes and over the mounds that the grinder creates. A flat bed will dump and be 8' 6"-9' long and have a removable enclosure for blowing chips into. I need it to be auto and want the simplicity of an older truck with the least amount of wiring possible, hence the C6. I'm on the fence on gears, would like 4:10's for the idi but 3:55's would give the C6 better gearing overall. Thoughts and ideas on the best way to accomplish this .........

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure in those years if the 250 and 350 are the same or not. My parts truck is supposed to be a 350 and it looks the same as my 250 I'm restoring. I'm sure someone knows for sure.

As for gears I guess it depends on the type and how much driving you are doing. If it's mainly 2 lane loaded heavy then probably 4.10 is the way to go. If it's highway and light loads mostly, probably want 3.55.

Just my 2 cents.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I would prefer 4:10's for the idi, 3:55's just in case of a DT360 swap later on. This truck will only see short stints of highway use.