Im getting really.. Really frustrated..

paygie94

Reaction score
My 7.3 has been having a rough time starting almost ever since i got. And just recently it completely quit on me so i decided it was time to get some new stuff.

Started with cleaning out the bank account with 2 new batteries. Truck finally starts! Woo!

Still cranking very.. Very slow soo cleaned out the bank again and got me a new starter!

Took the old one off found out it was a gear reduction starter.... Sorry for all you fans of them but i was not impressed.

By this point im super excited to get my new starter one and really see this thing pop right off.... Yeah... Easier said then done.

Took forever to get the damn thing in cuz it just didnt wanna fit right. Now its finally in! The bottom 2 bolts cranked tight.. Everything hooked up all wonderful.. Get in turn the key and all i hear is the starter.. Not turning my truck over.

***. The top bolt is in and semi tight but thats a real ***** to get to.

Why would it not be starting? Does anyone else have a rough time getting a starter in? I'm starting to wonder if Advanced sold me the wrong one....

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1st off, Put your truck in your signature. "Settings (at the top of page" then Edit sig.
With a gear reduct starter your way better off. Put it back in, return the new. Check your battery cables, they may be corroded under the insulation at the ends., if so they won't be able to carry the current that the starter requires, like 700 to 800 amps to start. Make sure your ground wires from both battery to engine connections are clean, rust/corrosion is a common problem

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does the NEW starter have a bushing on end of drive or is drive exposed?

If an exposed drive then that would be a PS starter in all likely hood.

Nothing wrong with Gear reduction starters or the direct drives either so long as both are in good condition.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Now that starter sure spins that engine fine and fast. In all honesty the gear reduction starters will spin these engines much faster than any direct drive will. A fast spun engine creates the heat to ignite the diesel because quickly compressed air heats up. Think about this. Try to hand crank these engines. They will not start because no compression or no heat from quickly compressed air. Think about hand cranking a gas engine but be careful. They make lower compression but they have an electronic spark that can ignite the fuel. So you want to start a diesel well get is spinning fast and have a tight fuel system. It will start. Also don't feel bad that some parts counter person sold you the wrong part. They can only read what the computer screen tells them to sell you. Think how tuff it is to get any idi parts for a 94 idi. That year we could get an na engine. A turbo engine and a psd engine. This is why we usually recommend members tell the parts counter person you have a 92 or a 93 truck. Same part fits those but a 94 is also a powerstroke and that sucks...

rattleonby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your starter is just spinning free then its probably a bad starter they sold you..happens. I have the same starter in that video and any parts store will sell it to you cus its the late mitsubishi style updated planetary reduction starter...hence the fast cranking which is basically a psd starter. The oe style is the early nippendenso starter which is just an offset gear reduction...hence the slower cranking. Go back and get those idiots to give you a good starter. While its out clean your bolts and threads on the truck good and chase them if you can.

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before condemning parts (batteries, starter, etc) take a few measurements. Check the cranking voltage of EACH battery, measure the current draw of your starter (clamp-meter). Measure the cranking voltage at the starter (on each side of the solenoid). All of these will quickly narrow down what the problems is - not enough juice, poor connections, ground problems.

I think one of the most useful tools for diagnosing starting and GP issues is a clamp-meter (ammeter).

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To the op, your original low batteries likely fried your starter, that is the single quickest way to kill a starter. And the 91 came with a Mitsubishi planetary gear reduction starter, they were never offered with an offset denso, if it has one its been an aftermarket install.
Part of the problem is big box auto parts starters really suck. I buy mine from DB electrical.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Russ aka typ4 has the right ideas here. My 89 had an oem direct drive on it. I was having slow cranking for a few years. Kept burning up Nappa starters. Finally the guy behind the counter told me this was my last warranty starter because they stopped carrying that brand and I had been using the warranty way too much... Well FU pal.. So I went to my favorite mom and pop and have never looked back in probably 15 years now. I'm lucky to find a great private rebuilder like they are. Family owned and friendly too. I'm always nice to Carol because she knows the wifey...:eek::dunno

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online