Idit main cap bolts

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I followed the IDIT manual the first time and it screwed me over. It caused me to have to pull the engine again due to bearing material in my oil samples. Turns out the extra torqued egg shaped the mains causing the bearings to wear funny. After talking with my machine shop he said that spec must have been a misprint and not to do the extra torque angle part. After having the line bore redone at the standard IDI spec, replacing my bolts, and replacing the bearings it was good to go once again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Tomteriffic

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have a 93 factory turbo with 170k miles on it. Pulled the motor to replace the oil pan and remove a broken glowplug. While I had it open, I plastiguaged all the bearings, just for peace of mind. They looked pretty good.
When I replaced the main caps, I followed the specs I had on hand, which was 75, then 95 lb/ft.
Now I've come across the turbo manual supplement that calls for an additional 45 degrees torque angle after that.
I can't find any other reference to this.

Should I pull the pan and retorque? Also, Does anyone have specs on main bolt diameter and length so I can check them for stretch? Or should these bolts just be replaced after having been torqued several times now? Once from the factory, and twice by me, plus another if I pull them to measure and retorque.

I kind of feel like leaving it alone, since I know the straight 95 lb spec is plenty good for n/a motors w/ aftermarket turbos, but I know I won't feel good about it down the road.