Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6.0 thoughts...

(craiglist copy and paste)

Ford F350 4X4 diesel flatbed (Colorado)
Date: 2010-01-06, 10:07PM MST
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

For sale. 2004 Ford F350 crew cab 6.0 diesel. 151K miles. Receipts for $12,000 worth of repairs on the engine in the last 12 months. Running great right now, but I need to sell before it strands me on the side of the road again. I need to buy a truck that doesn't dump all of its engine oil into the cooling system or die as I am rolling down the mountains here in Colorado with a load of horses in the trailer behind me, leaving me with no power steering or brakes on a winding 7% downhill grade, several times a week for months on end, while the dealership changes random components in between butt-cheek clenching episodes. I need $32,000 for this truck, so I can pay off the re-finance with the bank for repairs, and still have some cash to buy a used Chevy or Dodge one ton. I would prefer an out of state buyer so when it takes a dump again, nobody will come by my home and threaten to hurt me for selling them such a turkey. I'll need cash in advance, and will bring it to your home on a flat-bed trailer. I will leave you the trailer rather than risk starting the truck to unload it. Sold as is. Have a nice day!

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

Last edited:

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score

A picture is worth a thousand words... you're good for about 3 thousand words there, I'll bet non of them fit for mixed company :eek:

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I had a buddy that bought a new 6.0 in 05. He is Ford loyal and buys a new work truck every 10 years. Well he bought a loaded cab and chassis and a U/T bed. Had just shy of $60k in it. Now fully loaded with tools I bet it grossed 10k or better. Not sure how many of you remember my old 93 but we were on the way to work one morning and I was in the lead. I had my tool trailer and material so I would put my weight about 13k. We had to go up this short but steep grade with a couple switch backs. I hit it and ran up it in 3rd gear no prob. After the second corner my buddy was no where to be seen behind me. SO I hollered on the radio. He told me couldn't get out of 1st gear or the truck would start lugging. He never will live that one down to this day. As far as I know that truck is still sitting for sale and he bought a 7.3 PSD F550 to replace it.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the record not my add.. I tend to not buy things I can't afford to fix...

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any of the new diesels cost a fortune to play with. I will admit that for the cost of a good programmer and some gauges you can have a lot of fun. I ran a 160hp tune on a stock motor safely. I couldn't go over 100 mph though or it would get too hot. I could run the 1/8th mile wide open and only hit 1400 degrees. I think I ran 11 flat on a 2wd launch. My buddies auto was a second faster and the only difference was the tranny. Fun truck but with 160,000 on it and being worked its whole life it was time to let someone else pay for it for a while.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
When I still had my truck my girlfriend complained about the cost of repairing it. When I bought a new starter for it she told me to buy a new truck. I ran a quick spreadsheet with the cost of a new truck, insurance, and started adding in repairs after 5 years. I compared that to the old truck and increased the cost of repairs as time went by. The break even point was about 22 years before the new truck would cost less to own than the old truck. She dropped the subject :)

That is absolutely priceless! Im lucky, she convinces me to keep mine when all hell breaks loose and I wanna smash fragile things with big hammers.

The 6.0's arent as bad as they are made out to be. I plan to own one. The way the price is dropping, and the amount of work Im getting I may be able to in a few years. I will sumaraly pull the engine, swap the egr cooler, oil cooler, egr valve, intake seals, head gaskets, install head studs, reseal the engine and rebuild the turbo. Then I will proceed to flog that truck till I feel it is paid for.

I wont buy new. Waste of money imho. I will buy not running and drive them home though ;Really .

btw the responce of "my fathers 6.0 is loosing coolant" should be looked at and diaged soon, that can get stupid expensive IN A HURRY (like 40 hours shop time plus parts). If its just the egr cooler and not the heads it wont be too bad, keep running it and you can add head gaskets to the list.

punk

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
My truck is far from nickle and diming me....2.5yrs of ownership and all the IDI has cost me is a new water pump, a use alternator and a few glow plugs....Best damn truck I've ever owned. 436,000KM on it and it runs like a swiss clock.....The key is to find one that has been maintained well and IMHO get one with NO turbo - less expense and less to go wrong too....Now my Cummins swap into the 92, that will more than nickle and dime me to death...:rolleyes::D I'm considering selling the 91 once the 92 is finished but I can't see me parting with the IDI, it works too damn good.

janos1

That's gonna hurt
Reaction score
The 6.0's arent as bad as they are made out to be. I plan to own one.

punk

IDK about all the particulars but I knew a guy, kinda of a smartarse kid who would tell us all how wonderful his NEW 6.0 loaded Harley Davidson Edition CC was. Then after a while he started telling us how bad Ford F'd up, and how he is getting tired of it always in the shop under warranty. They replaced a couple turbos and couple motors. It got to the point where he got a lawyer because they wouldn't replace any more parts on warranty or buy it back as a lemon for enough to get another older truck.

I wont buy new. Waste of money imho. I will buy not running and drive them home though ;Really .

punk

That is why a good Ford mechanic makes a killing. To me trying to solve a Ford electrical problem is an Enigma

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck is far from nickle and diming me....2.5yrs of ownership and all the IDI has cost me is a new water pump, a use alternator and a few glow plugs....Best damn truck I've ever owned. 436,000KM on it and it runs like a swiss clock.....The key is to find one that has been maintained well and IMHO get one with NO turbo - less expense and less to go wrong too....Now my Cummins swap into the 92, that will more than nickle and dime me to death...:rolleyes::D I'm considering selling the 91 once the 92 is finished but I can't see me parting with the IDI, it works too damn good.

I agree about the no turbo part. My 93 was N/A and it was much easier to work on than the 94 turbo truck I have now. Since this truck is a toy I decided to get a turbo his time. Thought I got a well maintained one being that I bought it from a diesel mechanic. Wrong. The more I get into it I am finding that everything is a wreck and rather than fix it he did a bunch of crap to make it look like a good truck. For instance who RTV's an injector cap on an injector? REturn line kits aren't that expensive.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
RTV is your road side buddy...just like Seal All....but ya...kits are cheap, time is free when you do your own repairs.....

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the bottom line was he knew it needed a pump, injectors, and all the other stuff it needs and he didn't want to put the money in it so he did enough to make it all look good and test drive just fine. Then he sold it for top dollar. The only reason that I am in it good is I caught a break. I bought it for $7300 and wrote a check off my credit card for it because it was a fixed rate at 2.9%. Well times got tough and I never made one payment on it. Credit card ended up settling my $24k balance for $4200 so basically I got my truck and a bunch of tools for $4200. I feel a little better about that.