IDIs are missed

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
The front of the "brick nose" is relatively flat (across) while the "slant nose" slants back at the headlights.

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never owned an IDI that didn't start instantly in cold weather. :dunno I can appreciate your admiration of the Cummins, but I have to admit I think this is the most B.S. excuse I've read yet. LOL

No offence... pick a better excuse. There are some. :)

Wait, what? Show me vids of your truck starting at -15*F with just hitting the key and not being plugged in or ether assisted starts. None of mine have been able to do it, and my first 85 was a fresh, 6k mile Jasper reman engine, with the timing set to 8* BTDC by the local diesel shop. It would start mind you, but not without at least two cycle of the glowplugs.

I know that most IDI's are left by the way side when it comes to maintaining the injection and glowplug systems, but come on. Best case scenario, my uncles immaculate 92 7.3 with the utmost care and maintnance done to it, would still need the plug at those temps, or at least a few cycles of glowplugs.

My old bosses 92 will fire any time of day or night, no matter what the temp, right when you hit the key. You don't know how many times I had to dig that thing out of a snowbank to haul our enclosed trailer when the 99 24v he had wouldn't start. I have several buddies that have 90-93 era trucks that will start up istantly also.

I will say one thing, all 3 of my IDI's could start faster than either of my p-pumped trucks would. Of the 95 and 97 that I owned, the 95 would fire up quicker, but even the current 85 will pop off quicker. They would make the power tho.

My admiration comes from owning 3 IDI's and the experiences I've had with them, my p-pumped woes, and the awe of using a VE pumped truck for work for 2 years straight. Plus the fact that they can make very easy and cheap power.

I still love my 6.9, and will always have a spot for the IDI's.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
It never seizes to amaze me some of the people who ask me about my truck and appreciate it.

The guys driving trucks that are not Fords is always great! Had a guy in a newer chevy truck pull along side me in an intersection and start telling me how great of an engine I had.

That and the fact most of the people Ive talked to actually know its an IDI and to call it that. Ive had kids younger than me come up and ask me "Is that an IDI" and tell me they would like to have one.

I find it awesome there are still quite a bit of people interested in these things besides us here at Oilburners.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
and the awe of using a VE pumped truck for work for 2 years straight. Plus the fact that they can make very easy and cheap power.

I still love my 6.9, and will always have a spot for the IDI's.

The VE is something isn't it! ;Sweet They're power curve could not be any more different than these IDI's imo. Going from my 92 Dodge to my 91 Ford I had to completely change the way I drove while pulling a load. Both have good power the IDI's just have to be wrapped out to get it and the other needs to be lugged right down to nothing to get it--that took awhile to get used to going from one to the other! Both are excellent motors though I just wish the IDI would have gotten a similar Bosch pump :angel:

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The VE is something isn't it! ;Sweet They're power curve could not be any more different than these IDI's imo. Going from my 92 Dodge to my 91 Ford I had to completely change the way I drove while pulling a load. Both have good power the IDI's just have to be wrapped out to get it and the other needs to be lugged right down to nothing to get it--that took awhile to get used to going from one to the other! Both are excellent motors though I just wish the IDI would have gotten a similar Bosch pump :angel:

I agree on the superiority of the Bosch VE.

The Bosch is adjustable almost without bounds in a dozen different locations.

No special knowledge necessary; everything simple and looking right at you; plus, it is genuinely fully mechanical, having no need whatsoever for battery power.

I wonder if the VE could be retrofitted in place of the Stanadyne ?? :dunno

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bosch VE is also twice as expensive and physically too large to fit where the DB2 is located. I agree its nice to have an external fuel screw and factory support for a fuel aneroid however.

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh no no no no no!!!! :D You misunderstood me completely :D Trust me I'm an IDI and 7.3 PSD fan through and through.

I meant there are more old IDI's on the road than good running 6.0's--and there are VERY few good running 6.0's out there. I dislike the 6.0's more than most people out there for many different reasons.

That said I wouldn't mind finding a nice F350 (even a King Ranch :sly) with a blown 6.0 and a manual trans and swapping in an IDI.

You're right, I misunderstood COMPLETELY.
Once again I've shown my ass to the OB family :frustrate DAMMIT!!!

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
6.0 are faulty from factory. need some upgrades and they can run like a beast. this is one of the truck i helped build. 750 hp to the rear wheels with a 100 shot of no2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzWtWvroeNE

also my 6.9 will start all winter, on one group 31 batt mounted in the bed. 9 seconds of gp button, then crank. cranky, but fires up.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait, what? Show me vids of your truck starting at -15*F with just hitting the key and not being plugged in or ether assisted starts.

I've never posted any, but if the chance comes up to do it, I gladly would. I have no doubt that the Moose Truck would start under those conditions, as it has before.

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never posted any, but if the chance comes up to do it, I gladly would. I have no doubt that the Moose Truck would start under those conditions, as it has before.

I'm glad yours will start fast in those conditions.

I'm hoping work will come around and I will be able to freshen the fuel system up in my truck, so that I can get it to fire on its own down to about 10*. It got a new starter and 2 new batteries in February, 8 new glowplugs in July, and a new 100 amp alternator last week, so my electrical system is up to par. Lately it's gotten down around 40* at night and it gives me a fit every morning.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Man you guy's should really take a bottle of diesel oil and open the top and try pouring it out when its -10 and lower outside! :eek: I don't want to think about trying to pump that through a freezing cold engine block and expect it to lubricate all the intricate vitals :puke:

I'm betting my IDI will start up fairly quick in 0 and lower temps this year, but I don't like the idea of it. I wouldn't want to hop out of bed in the morning and instantly run a marathon when its freezing cold outside LOL

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Man you guy's should really take a bottle of diesel oil and open the top and try pouring it out when its -10 and lower outside! :eek: I don't want to think about trying to pump that through a freezing cold engine block and expect it to lubricate all the intricate vitals :puke:

Never said that it was real good for the engine, just that they will do it if needed.

nicknd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just sold my 6.9 F350 after owning it for 3 weeks...but needing money and going to college got in it's way. :dunno

I will honestly say that I will not miss the smell of the truck. However, in the 3 weeks I've owned it I trust it more than my '98 Ranger with 83k miles (6.9 has 226k). I'm gonna be in the market for a 1980-1997 ext/crew cab 4x4 with a 351 or 460. I'm moving back to North Dakota next year and don't want to deal with starting a 6.9 when it's 30 below zero with a -30 wind chill. Plus I can do most of the work myself on a gasser....

Anyway, I will own an IDI again in the next few years.