IDI to powerstroke conversion?

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The conversion is easy.swap everything over from a donor truck.you will be happy you did it.

All psd parts are the same from 94-03.only a few minor changes were made to the psd.

All of you who think the idi is faster do know that for $1.00 spent at radio shack a stock psd will run circles around you? Not only was the exhaust restricted but the ecm was detuned as well.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The conversion is easy.swap everything over from a donor truck.you will be happy you did it.

All psd parts are the same from 94-03.only a few minor changes were made to the psd.

All of you who think the idi is faster do know that for $1.00 spent at radio shack a stock psd will run circles around you? Not only was the exhaust restricted but the ecm was detuned as well.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Here's my reasoning for wanting to do it... A fully tuned 7.3 idi is probably more powerful than a stock 1st gen psd... But psd's are capable of much higher numbers if you throw the same amount of money at them as you would an idi. That, and I'm planning on mild upgrades for mine anyway... My goal is about 300 horses. And I can do that for less than $2000. Am I in for one hell of a nightmare when it comes to the swap and fabrication? Yeah, probably. Am I still willing to do it anyway? Damned straight. When the wife said she wanted to keep my old truck because she likes it so much, I had to come up with a good way of being able to do that. Psd just made sense to me.

Black dawg

Reaction score
I think it would be a pretty easy swap. Would really depend what parts you had available to you.

as far as first gen stroke power, it really seems to be different truck to truck. I have been around some that didnt pull well and some others that would pull very well.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
So basically I'd have 2 find a new truck and swap it all? Hmm I'll have 2 keep an eye out then

That's option #1, yes, and the option I'm going with because my current truck has questionable wiring. Option #2 is find an industrial DT444e out of a bus or something similar... They have standalone computers on the valve cover, and you dont need all the supporting wiring out of a donor truck then. Contact user idipwr... He usually comes up with good donor trucks for psd's.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think imma just do the banks sidewinder turbo system.. Seems a whole lot easier

Trust me, a psd swap is not that hard.been there, done it.hardest part is finding A donor.

The ih version would be easier but you then gotta figure out the gauge wiring.they also run a different turbo than the fords dependent on what it comes out of.

If you do it you will wonder why you and everybody else here messes with an idi.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think imma just do the banks sidewinder turbo system.. Seems a whole lot easier

Trust me, a psd swap is not that hard.been there, done it.hardest part is finding A donor.

The ih version would be easier but you then gotta figure out the gauge wiring.they also run a different turbo than the fords dependent on what it comes out of.

If you do it you will wonder why you and everybody else here messes with an idi.

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score

Keep in mind that adding a turbo comes with its own can of worms, too. I know mine wasn't easy to install by any means. If you do go that route, I would recommend searching for a used turbo kit. A good, used kit usually is around $500 depending on where you look. Even if you have to rebuild the turbo and get a shop to do all the piping for you (which I did), you won't come anywhere near the $2500-$3000 price tag of a new kit.

Also, the IDI vs PSD is an age old debate. Basically, it comes down to what kind of system you prefer. If a dozen vacuum hoses and switches are easier for you to work with, pick the IDI. If you can deal with the electronics and sensors involved with the operation of a PSD, pick that. However, do note that the power potential is higher with the PSD if that is one thing that interests you. The PSD also has a larger aftermarket to support it, currently.

Turboed94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, the front hoisin is a garret and I heard the ats ha better air flow and turns more boost.. Any of y'all know where I can find them?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online