IDI to powerstroke conversion?

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Yes, but it's generally not worth it.
If the powerstroke is out of a Ford, then you need almost every wire to be transferred. If it's out of an IH then you're in luck because the computer is on the valve cover.

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A waste-gated turbo puts a IDI at about the same power as a stock PSD. Diesel brad knows what to do, hes gonna gonna do a PSD swap on his 86 at sometime. Too bad he got kicked off here though, look for him on PSDnation or ford trucks enthusiasts.:)

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
A waste-gated turbo puts a IDI at about the same power as a stock PSD. Diesel brad knows what to do, hes gonna gonna do a PSD swap on his 86 at sometime. Too bad he got kicked off here though, look for him on PSDnation or ford trucks enthusiasts.:)

On a dyno, but you wouldn't guess it by driving them both. A stock OBS PowerStroke is nutless.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
On a dyno, but you wouldn't guess it by driving them both. A stock OBS PowerStroke is nutless.

I would agree, our Fire Department has a 96 OBS RC LB 4x4 7.3PSD Grass Truck, and this truck is 100% stock, except for the fire fighting gear on a skid in the bed. This truck will not get out of its own way. We had an 83 F-150 351M 4.10 and it had more get up and go than the grass truck. We also have 2 Superduty ambulances F-350 7.3PSD and they seem to have much more power than the 96. My 6.0 trumps them all.... but one thing to keep in mind, they are all stock power wise, the 96 is probably the heaviest of the 4 with a 500 gallon water tank on its back.... the ambulances, then my truck..... but my truck has more power to begin with.....

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just to make sure the original post is addressed, are you asking if you can convert an actual IDI engine to a powerstroke, or are you asking if you can put a powerstroke engine in a truck in place of the IDI? The answer is yes to the later. No to the former.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The simplest method to do a IDI engine swap out and PSD in is to buy a PSD truck and sell the IDI....no work...

Second easiest method, get a cab, and computer and all wiring and swap that on with the PSD engine in place of the IDI cab and IDI engine.

third....swap engines and wiring harness from PSD to IDI...

Cab swap is quite easy actually as that's what I did with a friend and I got his IDI engine for my truck!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I would say the idi is the better engine for several reasons. Most every internal part is the same in all the 6.9 and 7.3 idi engines. That oil pump,crank, cam with gears, rods unless the engine is a turbo model. But otherwise the parts are plentiful and interchangeble. The idi is a torque monster too compared to the first psd non intercooled engines. I recall the hp differance in 94 & 95 was about 10 hp differance because they were pushing the psd to replace the turbo idi. Even the turbo idi has an exhaust restriction so reduce the hp rating.

DragRag

Reaction score
Option 1: sell idi, keep powerstroke.

Option 2: take front sheet metal off old truck, put on powerstroke truck for old looking powerstroke.

Option 3: engine change, huge pain in the ass and not worth it, see option 1 and 2.

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can attest that my '86 with a 1st gen Banks kit could beat a 1st gen PSD in a drag race, off the line at least. Trucks were evenly matched in weight, both reg cab longbeds and both had 4.10s. I got beat in the end. I hit my governor at about 81 mph in direct and he walked on by in overdrive. Until I ran out of gears and rpm, I had two-plus truck lengths on him.

DragRag

Reaction score
My van pulled my buddies 2001 power stroke, until towards the end of the race. Both had big tires, and I was running an old banks kit on mine. I had a gearvendor, he still walked away with it in the end. I definitely had him through first, second, and going into third though. The power smokes have a little more under the hood then the idi's, but I am hoping my new to me intercooler 94' will do a bit better then a stock powerstroke. I can race my own stock 2002 cc 4x4, so it will be a like for like race.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
If you're willing to wait a month and a half for a good answer and write up, I'll be doing just that to my 87. The 6.9 in it is no longer reliable, and I picked up a obs psd for $1k. Come April, I'll be gutting the obs truck and putting it all into my 87.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online