IDI Resurrection

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
NICE! going from a Brick to a Bull! Atta boy! :D finally someone NOT going from bull or brick to the crappy OBS look :puke:

I love the light blue/white combo. Call me whatever you want for saying that, but I think it makes any "old" truck, look old :D love it!

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
i havent decided totally on the color/paint....what i do know is its gettin the XLT chrome...i just need the long pcs for the ext cab.

im going to a flat bed so i dont have to worry about the rear body...

im thinkin either red/black two tone or possible some scheme to match the paint on my samurai

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
well time for an update. today i got the motor,trans and t-case out of the frame...

i bought a 1500# engine stand from northern tool since my dad happened to be in the area... since i was by myself it took a bit to get the frame pulled around to my garage with my truck (4wheeler just wouldn't cut it) got the starter pulled...bell housing bolts removed....engine mount bolts....then i got the lift setup and tried to pull the engine. i fought with it for an hour trying to get the input shaft to release from the clutch disc. i guess it must have rusted a bit from sitting

You must be registered for see images attach

the motor is that heavy that on the asphalt i couldn't pull the stand....so out came the 4 wheeler.... holy cow that idi is heavy!!!

after finally getting the trans unstuck and getting the engine away from the frame i started to mount the head for the stand (i removed the ford adapter plate for those wondering) turns out the bottom two arms are not long enough. so out came some 1/2" plate and the torch.

i had to make two adapter plates and cut down the barrel on the stand arm.

then while trying to move the stand it tipped over and the 7.3 crashed to the ground!!!! no pics of that though :sly:sly:sly

so after another 45 minutes of using a digging iron to pry the lift over the speed bump in front of my garage and get it positioned so i could pick up my now grounded 7.3L i got it lifted again and onto the stand.

then i pulled the trans and t-case....now just laying in the frame

basically took me 3 1/2 - 4 hours but man i feel like i got my rear kicked..

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Nice, now that's 4 hrs, what progress did you make with the other 20 hrs of the day?:D

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
used it to look for my pride after dumping the engine and lift and smashing the oil pan (im gunna replace it anyway)

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
It really sucks when the engine go boom on da ground....:cry::angel: Had that happen when a neighbor "helped" me years ago when I didn't need the help....:rolleyes: Sure doing plenty of grunt work there. And btw most engine stands wont fit these wide body bel housings. I made some custom bars like you did too many years ago...:angel:

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
yea the alley isnt 100% level. if i had another person to help steady it probably wouldnt have happened but if i were to put the engine on the stand before going over the threshold into the garage it would still be sitting in the alley

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Next time you need to move the engine and stand past this threshold connect the engine hoist to the engine and stand. That will support the weight better on many more wheels plus.. It wont be possible to tip over and run the new oil pan...

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
the engine stand didt fit between the legs of the lift....i barely got it off the lift....next time ill find a piece of farm machinery to move it lol

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
No pics but i started tearing down the engine this evening...all 8 glowplugs came out with no issue lol..im really on the fence right now. As much as i want the truck back im struggling with doing studs and headgaskets before i put it back in...among other things....

If i forget doing studs and gaskets...and just worry about other things its possible i could have it road worthy for the ralley...even though it may be a bit ambitious...

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
Budget constraints are whats driving the indecision....and finding out my turbo will probably need rebuilt