IDI Resurrection

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
that's the next step as well as getting the D60 together and swapping the sterling with Mel.

i got the hitch on the F150 so i can move the trailer around to work on the cab now

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

not much to add other then i finally dug this out of the yard and started cleaning it up. it came off an F350 wrecker that was hub deep in the mud for a long time so its majorly dirty and rusty. i started cleaning it up. was going to start on another project today but I'm not feelin too hot so I'm just taking it easy for now. dont mind the fact that my garage decided to throw up on itself. one downside to not having enough space to work indoors.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
ok got a ton done today...

got the knuckles apart and the D60 cleaned up and painted. the chome diff cover was on it when i got it. it WILL be replaced with something better and heavier.

i was hoping to get it completed today but was thwarted by the lack of new nuts and washers for the spindle studs. i will also need to pull the caps and springs and torque down the upper king pins still. im waiting till the axle is bolted to the frame to do that.

i did manage to get the 4.10 sterling out of my truck and since it was already pretty clean i proceeded to bolt it into the frame with some factory F350 blocks and new u-bolts.

depending on how tomorrow goes i hope to have the D60 under the frame as well. im close. but i had to go to dinner with my mom at 1pm tomorrow so hopefully the afternoon is nice. once its rolling again ill move it and pull the rear wheels and clean and paint the rear axle.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
ok time for the end of the weekend update. while i wouldnt call it a home run id call it a ground rule double.

i managed to get the spindles and hubs put on the D60 and get the tires put back on. man rolling a D60 through a yard about 100ft is like pushing around a 300# wet noodle. i got it under the frame and lined up and started putting on the u-bolts. i need to finish bolting the axle down but the frame is off the jack stands and is now resting on all 4 tires again!!!

looks like im going to be looking for a new steering linkage. this one is extremely crusty and the tre's are a bit loose. it will do for moving the frame around for now.

now i did make one booboo thats easily fixed...can you tell what it is?

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
nope...thats not it. my hand/wrist stopped working so next time i get down there ill finish putting on the u-bolts on...i also got to clean and paint the drivers side lower shock mount plate

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You paint that frame with the sem stuff you were talking about? What did you use to sand blast it? I had a guy sandblast my frame and then another guy powdercoat it and I think next time I would probably just coat it myself. I'm not overly impressed with the powdercoating. It seems thin. I loved the idea of it and the price, but am not 100% happy with the results so far. We'll see how it goes once it's back on the road seeing road wear.

Looking good. I can't spot the mess up. but I'm going to guess the calipers mounts are on the wrong sides? Caliper hose on the drivers side seems too far forward, but it's a complete swag.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
I just used a cheapo harber freight blaster. Its not perfect by any means and i still did alot of wire wheeling but the sem went on thick. I didnt thin it and had to turn the needle almost to the point of falling out of the gun. But i sprayed it on thick and used about half a gallon. The axles are just rustoleum for now.

And your close. I put the calipers on the wrong sides. Axle must have been upsidedown when i put them on and i didnt realize it. I had it set across my garden trailer to reassmble it. My engine lift got a workout this weekend lifting axles thats for sure.

Last edited:

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
well betwen the weather and getting screwed and having to work all weekend nothing got done....but this came in the mail friday...

and with the extra time at work i should be able to get a gasket kit and a new oil pan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylerperson

Members online