IDI powerstroke swap or cummins swap

Black dawg

Reaction score
can someone please explain why you need the stroker dash to swap in a stroker?

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
but why the "complete dash"?

The dash harness is different. The PCM is different. The cluster may be different too.

I'm quite sure the bare dash shell can be reused from an IDI truck.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need the fuel/gas pedal to.

Does any one know if a 93 D2500 auto trans is any good?

They are as good as any automatic and better than many; but, like all automatics in my opinion, they fall way short of a manual when it comes to serious duty.

The wife's 1991.5 has the same transmission and it has been problem-free for the several years that we have had it.

I knew the one-owner truck from day one, and the price couldn't be beat on account of the guy specifically wanted me to have it, or we would have held out for a manual. :)

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't want to turn this into a Cummins VS IDI Debate, but I feel that I can defend your decision since I have had a lot of experience with BOTH setups, and most of the naysayers do not.

Amen to that. ;Sweet

I have said it before and I will say it again (toung in cheak) "The Cummins conversion saved my marriage!" Our trips are way less stressful! ;Really

My life and nerves would have been a lot better, had I did the Cummins swap before I even licensed my truck, long before the Dodge/Cummins hit the road.

The old 6.9 always brought me home, but there were many many times when I thought it was gonna quit on a hill, and several times when it DID quit and refuse to proceed.

The same truck with the simple mechanical Cummins will breeze up the same hills with bigger trailers and more cows and none of the gut-wrenching stress, while getting nearly twice the fuel mileage. ;Sweet

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO, the way to go with an engine swap is to use the trans that comes with the donor. A divorced NP205 is a fairly cheap endeavour. You are most likely adjusting driveshaft lengths already to get the engine position just right.

That is exactly what I preach all the time.

All a "married" transfer-case is good for is to bridle one's options and make clutch changes a night-mare.

A divorced transfer-case cares not what engine/transmission is in front of it.

Also, a divorced transfer-case gives one the option to leave it's mounting until any convenient time later in the swap process; simply run with a longer drive-shaft until all the other bugs are worked out. ;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Staff online