IDI powerstroke swap or cummins swap

tech51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But DTs dont break so there is no need for parts:D

I would love to put a DT360 in place of my 6.9 but the adapters are far to rich for my blood. So powerstroke for me it is

Go to any tow yard and then come back and tell us they don't break down :D

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
The Cummins swap would be easy, if you just really want a Cummins.

But you'd be everyone's hero here if you did a DT360 swap :sly

I'd just like to see one done.

Everyone always talks about doing a DT360 swap, but no one ever does it :dunno

Only know of one truck with one and 2 more being built

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Having worked on or rebuilt IDI's, Cummins mid range and 466's if I had the dough and time I would build a DT360 or 466....The 466 blocks are very heavy castings and the engines themselves are simple as hell. I rebuilt a 466 last summer in our 1976 Hough 530A loader at work, made 200HP and 500ftlbs on our dyno with some POS lucas injection pump....It was just screaming for more fuel and a bigger turbo...LOL...Man does it ever work good now compared to the severe blow days it had before I started working there. I earned some respect from the boys in the shop and the boss's on that one...It fired right off on the dyno and has worked like new since. 6 cylinder packs, reman head, reman turbo, reman injectors and more....Total with labour was around $6500, $3000 of it was parts.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
tech 51, idk im gonna cap it about 5500. and hesutton whats the average cost of a DT360? and how hard is it to swap in?
You have to look, but I've seen complete running engines for $500. Try finding a running cummins for that.

IMO, the way to go with an engine swap is to use the trans that comes with the donor. A divorced NP205 is a fairly cheap endeavour. You are most likely adjusting driveshaft lengths already to get the engine position just right.

DT-series diesels are all over the road. You may have to adjust your shopping a bit. I usually find my 'pickup diesel' parts have to be ordered in anyways. :dunno
X2. I bought a Eaton Fuller FS-6306A in excellent shape for $250. I couldn't buy a ragged out ZF5 for that.

The arguement that you need to have a motor that you can get parts for in any junkyard in America is a little silly. If you want an engine like that you'd better put a Chevy 350 gasser under the hood.

But you'd be everyone's hero here if you did a DT360 swap :sly

I'd just like to see one done.

Everyone always talks about doing a DT360 swap, but no one ever does it :dunno
I'm going a different route with my DT swap, I'm using the bigger DT466. I'll continue to post more as the time comes. I've got to get my crew cab project done 1st.

Having worked on or rebuilt IDI's, Cummins mid range and 466's if I had the dough and time I would build a DT360 or 466....The 466 blocks are very heavy castings and the engines themselves are simple as hell. I rebuilt a 466 last summer in our 1976 Hough 530A loader at work, made 200HP and 500ftlbs on our dyno with some POS lucas injection pump....It was just screaming for more fuel and a bigger turbo...LOL...Man does it ever work good now compared to the severe blow days it had before I started working there. I earned some respect from the boys in the shop and the boss's on that one...It fired right off on the dyno and has worked like new since. 6 cylinder packs, reman head, reman turbo, reman injectors and more....Total with labour was around $6500, $3000 of it was parts.

Amen to that. The parts are all over the place. You can get a complete over haul kit at any NAPA, IH dealer, Tractor service center, eBay, you name it. They are strudy, powerful, well build diesels. Tractor pullers wouldn't be making upwards of 4000HP in them if they weren't.

Heath

mabc926

Mojo
Reaction score
I'm going a different route with my DT swap, I'm using the bigger DT466. I'll continue to post more as the time comes. I've got to get my crew cab project done 1st.

Only problem with the DT466 is it's so big you'd have to use a remote mount rad.

It's not a big deal if you don't use your truck bed.

I'm not sure how a DT360 would fit though.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only problem with the DT466 is it's so big you'd have to use a remote mount rad.

It's not a big deal if you don't use your truck bed.

I'm not sure how a DT360 would fit though.

No, the radiator is staying in the stock location. I'm going to a single serpentine belt, ditching the fan and fan clutch and putting pusher fans on the front of the rad./innercooler. I'll put a little dog house in the firewall and she's in. It's been done before, just not very often.:D

The DT360 is supposed to be only one inch longer than the 6BT, but I don't have a DT360 or a 6BT side by side to confirm that. Brent Payne at Gene's Machine Shop is the guy that told me that. When I talked to him, he was in the process of putting a DT360 in a '70's Ford truck. He's done many truck repowers with DT360's and 6BT's for customers.

Heath

mabc926

Mojo
Reaction score
Nice man, sounds like you have this all planed out, can't wait too see it all done ;Sweet

Maybe once there are a few DT360's and DT466's running around someone can take the time and make a kit for them, so everyone can stop swapping in Cummins and keep it in the IH family LOL