IDI powerstroke swap or cummins swap

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're dead set on a 5.9L 12 valve inline six cylinder diesel, why not use the IH DT360? It's great motor that gets no respect from the diesel pickup truck crowd. The tractor pulling industry knows it's attributes very well. :peelout

I love my IDI, but the DT360 would have made a very interesting choice for Ford trucks back in the 80's. Makes you wonder what would be different if Ford used it instead of the V8 IDI.

Heath

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont know if im buying the IDI yet, but if i do, definite sidewinder kit, and head studs, maybe injectors. i may buy a powerstroke for the same amount, again idk yet. the only reason id be going with the IDI over the stroke is that the IDI is lifted up, has swampers on it with rims and stacks already, only reason i want it is cause its a nice second truck. The stroke on the other hand would be just as useful as my cummins except its an extra cab vs the single cab dodge. the IDI too is a extra cab. idk yet, still have a decision to make, might go with the stroke, but i do like the IDI

Feed Bunk

Cow hand
Reaction score
It all depends on what you want but I will say engine swaps are a ton of work. Mine started out being fun, then I got sick of it about half way through because of all the nickle and dime stuff. I however cannot say it wasnt worth every penny in the end. I got to keep my old ford Ive had scince highschool, and(no offense) my 12v is in a whole other class compared to the ol turbo idi. However if I was going to buy a vehicle and didnt want to spend like 5k right off the bat Id buy one with the engine I wanted.

Heres some links to companies that specialize in conversions
http://lowbudgetdiesel.com/
http://autoworldmt.com/
http://www.destroked.com/
http://gosperformance.com/

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tech 51, idk im gonna cap it about 5500. and hesutton whats the average cost of a DT360? and how hard is it to swap in?

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
tech 51, idk im gonna cap it about 5500. and hesutton whats the average cost of a DT360? and how hard is it to swap in?

Requires adapters just like a cummins

Once again the idi does NOT need head studs with the turbo, as long as the boost is kept at around 13-15psi it will be fine, when peopl start pushing them like i did mine thats when head gaskets go boom!

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I love my IDI...but all engines have their drawbacks. I stumbled upon a killer of a deal for a VE pumped cummins, and its now sitting in my garage.

tech51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only problem I have with a DT is what support do you have on the road like you do with a IDI, PSD our a 12v?

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Requires adapters just like a cummins

IMO, the way to go with an engine swap is to use the trans that comes with the donor. A divorced NP205 is a fairly cheap endeavour. You are most likely adjusting driveshaft lengths already to get the engine position just right.

The only problem I have with a DT is what support do you have on the road like you do with a IDI, PSD our a 12v?

DT-series diesels are all over the road. You may have to adjust your shopping a bit. I usually find my 'pickup diesel' parts have to be ordered in anyways. :dunno

If I were starting over again from truck-zero, I would be starting with gas trucks and diesel donors. :sly

tech51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been in some rural towns across America that the parts store has had 12v and psd parts but I don't think it would have had DT parts. But I did need our ask?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I think for DT parts you may have to think a bit on the unconventional side. the DT360 and DT466 were use in Medium Duty IH Trucks and in IH FARM TRACTORS....... So any IH truck dealer, truck service center, and probally any IH Farm tractor dealer could get you parts. Just have the serial number off the engine when you go to IH. I would say you could even get parts from places like Ryder and the like the lease/service medium duty trucks.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I think for DT parts you may have to think a bit on the unconventional side. the DT360 and DT466 were use in Medium Duty IH Trucks and in IH FARM TRACTORS....... So any IH truck dealer, truck service center, and probally any IH Farm tractor dealer could get you parts. Just have the serial number off the engine when you go to IH. I would say you could even get parts from places like Ryder and the like the lease/service medium duty trucks.

But if you ever break down in my area you will have to walk 30 miles to the I-H dealer then wait a week for your parts to come in-cuss

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
I absolutely love the simple VE-pumped, non-intercooled cummins in my 90 Dodges. I wish my Fords had that instead of the PSD. ;Really

I expect to be swapping in the future sometime.... not exactly sure if it will be a 6BT, but a mechanical inline engine regardless.

IDIs are fine.... much less BS than a PSD.

i love my 12v...i loved my IDI... thats really all i have to say... this is probably the most pointless post i have ever posted on here...;Sweet

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
But DTs dont break so there is no need for parts:D

I would love to put a DT360 in place of my 6.9 but the adapters are far to rich for my blood. So powerstroke for me it is

mabc926

Mojo
Reaction score
The Cummins swap would be easy, if you just really want a Cummins.

But you'd be everyone's hero here if you did a DT360 swap :sly

I'd just like to see one done.

Everyone always talks about doing a DT360 swap, but no one ever does it :dunno

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online