Idi powered 79' stepside recovery rig build

dirtbiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have wanted to go through with this project for years but never had enough motivation, my favorite trucks are late 70's fords and my favorite powerplant is the idi's. i think if ford would have had the idi motors in the 70's fords that they would have been the best looking and most reliable trucks ever made. So i had to make my own.

I am normally a fan of the manual trans and i did have a zf5 but i cracked the bellhousing when it was in my old truck, and an auto is going to benefit me more for what im doing, being able to shift gears without loosing wheel speed and boost is a huge gain for me, and if i can keep the c6 cool it will take a good beating.

Yep, I picked the 79 cause it's my favorite generation of Ford trucks, and because of the Dana 44 High Pinion front end. To me, it's the perfect truck and ready for just about anything. Mine has been a lot of work, but now that it's driving, all of it was totally worth it. Good choice with the C6 though, that will be perfect for you application cause that trans is pretty much indestructible.

mudduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Started beefing up my spring hangers over the weekend, havent been working on it for a couple of weeks because my job is eating all my free time for a little while.
Stock next to the beefed up ones i built
You must be registered for see images attach

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
looks good./..just make sure you drill about a 1/2" hole on the inside of that shackle mount so mud and crud and drain out the bottom and not sit in there and rot it out

Sledgehammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very cool build. It is obvious the amount of time you are taking to build everything will make your truck stand out (aside from the ag tires and Rockwells) Good work and nice job getting pics of it all. This is great motivation for me on getting my IDI put in my 79.

mudduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Im making sure i take my time on this build and make it EXACTLY the way i want it, im glad to see others noticing all the little details that i hope will make my truck stand out from others. Its also really cool to see how many others on here are getting into idi swappin the old fords!

Sledgehammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know there are several others that have done the swap. Mine is a 7.3 with E4OD so that is what I'm working with. Going to leave it relatively stock sitting for a retro tow rig I think. Not to hi-jack, keep up the good work and all the pictures. ;Sweet

mudduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I havent had good luck with the e4od trans but my milage was amazing with it, i couldnt keep them together in a tow rig. Ive never blown up a c6 and i know theres plenty of aftermarket for it if i need it. I love to see idi powered dents though, someday id like to have one for a dd.

Sledgehammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I havent had good luck with the e4od trans but my milage was amazing with it, i couldnt keep them together in a tow rig. Ive never blown up a c6 and i know theres plenty of aftermarket for it if i need it. I love to see idi powered dents though, someday id like to have one for a dd.

I have seen the C6 give up as well as the E4OD. I plan on rebuilding it with upgraded parts that should help things out a lot. I like the manuals a little better but my 79 is a factory automatic and I want to keep it original looking in the cab on this one.

bigoilburner20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your ford is wicked man one day i wanna take a factory ford hi boy and make it an idi they are rare around these parts along with ext. cab fords too keep up the good work you plan on bud bogging in this thing?

mudduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, i plan on putting it through its paces every chance i get, when you have a pto winch to get yourself out then theres really nothing to be scared of.

mudduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a bunch of pics on the way soon, got the rear shackle flip done and the rear blocks out, so i finally got to test out how much the leaf springs would flex and i was surprised!

mudduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bed came back off to get the shackle flip done

But when i did the shackle flip it shortened my wheel base a couple inches...

So now my rear axle wasnt centered in my fenderwell anympre, so i got a little creative.
I trimmed the front of the wheel well and then welded part of it back in so it wouldnt look as bad.

Welded back in

mudduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then with the fenders done i got to take the fork truck and flex it out!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat