IDI MPG

Leroy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if u don't believe me .. i don't care .. but i get 15 / 25 ..

now .. keep in mind a few things .. we have 'old' county highways here that are flat 55mph with almost no stops or traffic ...

my odo doesn't work .. but i have gone by mile markers on longer drives and actually got a hair over 25 .. so i round it down ..

85 F250 4x4 T19 3.55 35" BFG KO N/A

i also add a splash of atf or power service .. whatever i have on hand and it seems to boost mpg and run smooth ..

the exception .. is when my oil is tired .. over 2k miles then the mpg drops dramatically .. literally it's cut in 1/2 .. horrible ..

also .. one other thing that helps .. i unplug my a/c compressor when it's not hot .. so it doesn't turn as it does once in awhile .

synthetic oil in the trans and chunks .. large tires help .. watch my rpms .. she really gets good mpg when i need er' too ..

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Without a working odometer verified by GPS the tire and gear size match speedometer you really are just guessing fuel mileage. It's not accurate. I track every vehicle I own with fuelly, it's a really hand calculated program, it just saves the date from your fuel receipts that you input with your odometer reading each fill up.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
Ok, scan them all in so we can see them, or you can go to a website and see all of mine and every one else's who uses it.

Why would I do either?
My truck's mileage is in this one: http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...-vs-gear-ratio&p=728681&highlight=#post728681, and there is no way in hell I'd sit and scan all the receipts, especially when for a couple years I was using it for my job and filled up 4-5 times a week.
Other people's figures don't affect me, some get better, some get worse, when I need fuel I pull up to a pump.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
quote "if u don't believe me .. i don't care"

your word isn't in question Leroy.it's the method used.;)
25 mpg with larger tires and a pre-od trans is very unlikely.it's not that we don't believe that you believe your getting 25 mpg.we just know your really not,that's all.:D

I have 5 years of fuel receipts in my truck, mileage written on every one, **** on a website! LOL

come on man! have a heart! save a tree! LOL iv got all mine here in a desk drawer too.;)

Leroy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol .. i like that response

it's a mythical unicorn .. very rare .. and maybe not real .. like the even more rare unicandycorn :D

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Longest highway run I have is about 700 miles mostly at 65mph with 4.10s, Zf-5, and 245/75/16 tires which averaged 16mpg, but I seem to get about 14-16mpg combined most of the time, unloaded anyway. Stock N/A with about 70k on IP and injectors unknown age/brand. Well done to all y'all with 4.10s and 18mpg or better.

Runningaford

Reaction score
unloaded I get around 17mpg. After adding the turbo, still 17 unloaded. Here's where I'm not overly concerned about mileage....... I paid a total of $3,500 for the camo'd truck. It runs good, and no truck payments, I only run Liability insurance(in an appropriate amount), and I can get parts for her cheap. To buy another Cummins, they're out of site either 100k miles, and 8 grand, or very high mileage for 4 grand.. I've seen the older dodge Cummins as high as 14 grand.

The overall efficiency when looking at price to value is a lot better with the idi. It accomplishes my hauling needs, and figuring a new truck payment thrown into either fuel, or maintenance, and I'm still out money ahead. Sure, the factory tanks suck, and necessitate fueling more frequently, but I've got a 100 gallon slip tank; so unloaded I can go near 1600 miles, loaded, maybe a 1100............ I just don't think mileage per gallon is entirely accurate when looking at overall cost efficiency.

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
unloaded I get around 17mpg. After adding the turbo, still 17 unloaded. Here's where I'm not overly concerned about mileage....... I paid a total of $3,500 for the camo'd truck. It runs good, and no truck payments, I only run Liability insurance(in an appropriate amount), and I can get parts for her cheap. To buy another Cummins, they're out of site either 100k miles, and 8 grand, or very high mileage for 4 grand.. I've seen the older dodge Cummins as high as 14 grand.

The overall efficiency when looking at price to value is a lot better with the idi. It accomplishes my hauling needs, and figuring a new truck payment thrown into either fuel, or maintenance, and I'm still out money ahead. Sure, the factory tanks suck, and necessitate fueling more frequently, but I've got a 100 gallon slip tank; so unloaded I can go near 1600 miles, loaded, maybe a 1100............ I just don't think mileage per gallon is entirely accurate when looking at overall cost efficiency.

Amen to that price breakdown. In my area if you could find a cummins with only 100k it would be more like 12,000 or more with 4x4 or mods. I often see 4x4 3500 cummins with 300k and the guy still wants over 10 grand. Cummins mpg is nice, but not that nice!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online