IDI in a '66 Lincoln Continental

94IDIT

Reaction score
So there's been a Lincoln Continental for sale here locally that I've been thinking about picking up. It pretty much needs a full resto but that's fine by me. The engine that's in it now (a MEL 462) runs great but the C6 behind it is fried. Now, I've been a HUGE fan of classic Lincolns for years and have always wanted a slabside:hail:hail:hail but I've been thinking that even when restored and all freshened up the best fuel economy I could expect would be around 12 mpg:puke: and if that were the case I doubt I'd drive it much. So the wheels started turning and I got to thinking about how awesome a DD IDI Continetal would be! I'm sure I could get at least 25mpg with it and I could certainly afford to drive it then:sly So I'm wondering if there's anyone around here who's been around or worked on these cars much? If so whay all do you think I'd be up against? How would the IDI stack up size wise versus the 462? Any good insights would be greatly appreciated. I was told that the crank mounted power steering pump would be a problem when adapting to an idi but what do I know. I guess I do know that allot of people drop 460's in them. I'm sure I'd have to mesasage the trans tunnel to get an E4 in there but that's fine. Let me know what yall think!

Here's a link to it: http://sd.craigslist.org/cto/2560056097.html

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I've seen, those Lincoln motors are just about the same size as a 460 (they look really similar to a Ford FE 390), and they did put 460's in them , IIRC in 1969. My truck went from a 460 to a 7.3, and the IDI is just about the same physical size as the 460 was.
Things that come to mind to look out for would be clearance for the oil cooler, oil pan clearance (would it need the sump in the front?), and how big of a radiator is in it.
That would be a killer conversion; I've thought of this one many times myself.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buy it let him keep the wheels, They will bend on that car. I would think it should fit IIRC the old lincolns used aa tubular crossmember, easy to mod.

NJGearhead666

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I own a 66 slabside, the power steering pump isnt crank driven its belt driven. a 460 and a MEL motor are not really the same size. the cars entire front end and frame was changed in the late 60's (excuse my lack of thinking of the exact year I've been drinking beer with friends and watching football all day) to fit a 385 series big block. to put a 385 series motor into a early lincoln requires some frame mods and alittle crossmember mods but anything motor can be put into any car if you have the fabrication skills and patents. here is the message board I'm on for lincolns

http://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/index.php?sid=8e5d01031622fee5d25ef157d877f7d2

alot of guys on there who you can learn from and get idea from.

sassyrel

Reaction score
From what I've seen, those Lincoln motors are just about the same size as a 460 (they look really similar to a Ford FE 390), and they did put 460's in them , IIRC in 1969. My truck went from a 460 to a 7.3, and the IDI is just about the same physical size as the 460 was.
Things that come to mind to look out for would be clearance for the oil cooler, oil pan clearance (would it need the sump in the front?), and how big of a radiator is in it.

and the weight!!!! double the weight!!!!

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and the weight!!!! double the weight!!!!

Nah, the 462's weigh ~875, 7.3- 960, not much difference. I would think twice about one with suicide doors tho, the 67's up are much nicer.

462The 430 was replaced by the 462 cu in (7.6 L) engine in 1966. Bore and stroke were entirely different at 4.38 in (111.3 mm) by 3.83 in (97.3 mm) and the 462 MEL engine produced 340 hp (254 kW) and as much as 485 ft·lb (658 N·m) of torque. This engine was fitted with hydraulic lifters and a Carter AFB four-barrel carburetor. This large torquey engine was used only in Lincoln Continentals, from 1966 until mid-year in 1968 when it was replaced by the 385-series 460. Production ended after 1968. The production facilities in Lima were converted to produce the new Ford 385 engine family.

Applications:

1966–1968 Lincoln Continental

I was the Gen. Foreman of the 460 line at LEP from 1966 to 1987. Built a million of them. :D

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I know of an idi shop where the owner has a lincoln with a factory diesel in it..... So he claims. I think its around a 77 or 78 car. He told me once that it was a very rare car so thats all I really know of it... I see it at the shop yard all the time... Never asked what engine the diesel is either...

94IDIT

Reaction score

Yeah it's been on my mind for awhile. I believe I could get away with using the original rad, and I'm pretty sure I'll have to mod the oil pan. And if I half to I could run e-fans to create more clearance for getting that bad boy in there. Who know's yet though. I guess I'm still in the conceptual phaseLOL

Buy it let him keep the wheels, They will bend on that car. I would think it should fit IIRC the old lincolns used aa tubular crossmember, easy to mod.

Awesome, that's great to know. Also I told him he could keep the stupid wheels so he said he'd knock a grand off the price. They look dumb anyways imho

I own a 66 slabside, the power steering pump isnt crank driven its belt driven. a 460 and a MEL motor are not really the same size. the cars entire front end and frame was changed in the late 60's (excuse my lack of thinking of the exact year I've been drinking beer with friends and watching football all day) to fit a 385 series big block. to put a 385 series motor into a early lincoln requires some frame mods and alittle crossmember mods but anything motor can be put into any car if you have the fabrication skills and patents. here is the message board I'm on for lincolns

http://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/index.php?sid=8e5d01031622fee5d25ef157d877f7d2

alot of guys on there who you can learn from and get idea from.

Thanks for telling me about the ps pump. I must have been missimformed:rolleyes: and I'll def check out that forum. Although I'm sure I'll get flamed right off the site for even suggesting that I might go through with a project like this:rotflmao I'll have to get my flame suit ready!

Nah, the 462's weigh ~875, 7.3- 960, not much difference. I would think twice about one with suicide doors tho, the 67's up are much nicer.

462The 430 was replaced by the 462 cu in (7.6 L) engine in 1966. Bore and stroke were entirely different at 4.38 in (111.3 mm) by 3.83 in (97.3 mm) and the 462 MEL engine produced 340 hp (254 kW) and as much as 485 ft·lb (658 N·m) of torque. This engine was fitted with hydraulic lifters and a Carter AFB four-barrel carburetor. This large torquey engine was used only in Lincoln Continentals, from 1966 until mid-year in 1968 when it was replaced by the 385-series 460. Production ended after 1968. The production facilities in Lima were converted to produce the new Ford 385 engine family.

Applications:

1966–1968 Lincoln Continental

I was the Gen. Foreman of the 460 line at LEP from 1966 to 1987. Built a million of them. :D

Thanks for the history oldbull, I knew there would be some "old timers" that would know a thing or two about these old carsLOL

I know of an idi shop where the owner has a lincoln with a factory diesel in it..... So he claims. I think its around a 77 or 78 car. He told me once that it was a very rare car so thats all I really know of it... I see it at the shop yard all the time... Never asked what engine the diesel is either...

The Lincoln factory diesels were Mark VII's from 1984-85 they had a BMW M21 I6 with a zf automatic. They're pretty rare birds though from what I've heard. Would be a sweet car to own though.

Cucamongan

Huh?
Reaction score
Thats a nice car. too bad there are not more pictures of it.

If it was my car, i would keep it how it is engine wise.
A C6 is not that hard to rebuild. And yes, overdive would be better, or a gear vendors...

If you want to go diesel, go for it! :thumbsup:

Here is a Video of a '66 Chevy Nova Wagon that has a Duramax with Twin turbos on it, built by a custom car shop and was featured in Car Craft magazine. Pretty sweet!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh63EZvSl2o

I like the rims, but too big.

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You must be registered for see images

Yer thinking of these babies ;Sweet. This guy had 3 when i was last there not sure if he still has these anymore either (had 5 at one point). All of them in this condition cause they weren't very good. Said that the engine was powerful once you got over 60 mph. Under that and they were dogs. Also were useless in the winter time even with a good fuel/starting system. On one of his the whole engine compartment is black because he would just build small fires under the engine in parking lots so it would start again later.LOL

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to hijack this thread but that guy also has one of these jewels with the 350 diesel.

Then i almost bought this piece from him but didn't, and it was gone last time i was there. LOL

Sorry about the hijack but to bring it back to the original topic. Yeah i think it would be awesome to rock a Lincoln with an IDI in it ;Sweet

94IDIT

Reaction score
Thats a nice car. too bad there are not more pictures of it.

If it was my car, i would keep it how it is engine wise.
A C6 is not that hard to rebuild. And yes, overdive would be better, or a gear vendors...

If you want to go diesel, go for it! :thumbsup:

Here is a Video of a '66 Chevy Nova Wagon that has a Duramax with Twin turbos on it, built by a custom car shop and was featured in Car Craft magazine. Pretty sweet!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh63EZvSl2o

I like the rims, but too big.

That's a sick car!;Sweet And I know what ya mean about keeping the original mill. I mean there's nothing I love more than driving a big block gasser but as I stated before the fuel economy would kill me:kick: And I have considered putting in an aod but the trans adapter alone costs around 1k, same with a GV overdrive, and even with that I still wouldn't break into the 20's. But it would still be hella cool to leave it stock. I dunno, I guess I'm still on the fence.

94IDIT

Reaction score
Sorry about the hijack but to bring it back to the original topic. Yeah i think it would be awesome to rock a Lincoln with a IDI in it ;Sweet[/QUOTE]

No worries man, and thank you! ;Sweet

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cant believe someone still has a Yugo sitting around.

I had a guy tell me once. "I got a set of wiper blades for my yugo, I said oh, nice trade" :rotflmao

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That was a BMW diesel that Lincoln used in the 85 Mark whatever it is. I heard they were extremely slow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online