Idi help

Bwyatt

Reaction score
I have a 86 with a 7.3 idi in it the 6.9 was bad so it had a 7.3 dropped in and I’ve been having power issues I turned the pump to the passenger side it seemed to get better and I have the pump maxed out it seems to still have power issues and very little smoke too. Is my pump about shot?

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Bwyatt,

Not much to go on here, can you elaborate? What is the power issue? Slow, bucking, rough running?

Questions -

What if anything do you know about the maintenance the last owner did?

Did it ever run right since you got it?

Do the injectors or pump look new or old?

Has the engine been rebuilt?

Have you tried changing the fuel filter?

Have you checked the timing with a meter? These trucks are forgiving but still very timing sensitive. So if the pump is not timed you really should start with a new fuel filter and getting it timed.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Since it ran better, or at least seemed to, after advancing the timing, I would keep on that path for a bit to see where it takes you.

Bwyatt

Reaction score
When I got the truck no matter how hot it was outside it would smoke a lot of white smoke until the motor got warm. When you drive then shut it off about 45-60 mins later it would smoke a lot of white when you start it. So I turned the injection pump toward the passenger side all the white smoke wasn’t their and it felt like it got a little more power. So I turned it up 3 flats got some more power just didn’t feel like it should so I turned it all the way up and noticed it didn’t smoke like I heard and read about then when I moved to Florida as I was coming down the interstate I could feel the truck surge and when I let out of the throttle at 60-70 mph and let off the throttle the truck would buck and kick like it was running out of fuel all the injections are new and the pump is older.

Bwyatt

Reaction score
I’ve changed both fuel filters and been running cleaner in it.and when you drive it it sometimes takes off like it found another gear and about 10-20 seconds later it’s like it dies off

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I’ve changed both fuel filters and been running cleaner in it.and when you drive it it sometimes takes off like it found another gear and about 10-20 seconds later it’s like it dies off
Air intrusion/fuel starving

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
That background helps.

I think you are fighting three issues and now introduced a potential 4th.

1) It appears your timing is off. I would start by timing it. You can search articles on this site with the key word “tech time“ a brand of meter you can find on eBay for about $200. Most diesel shops do not have one or one that still works. Setting “By ear” only gets you close.

2) It sounds like you have a fuel issue (Bucking), being a new truck to you it could be a few things. You said you replaced the fuel filter so you can skip that.
a) You turned up your pump all the way which could be overwhelming a week fuel delivery system. Also may add to smoke issue when starting. You should replace injectors and pump together. Your pump is likely out of time and now you have maxed it out. So probably time to have it rebuilt and set correctly.
b) You should replace your fuel return lines, caps and o-rings. (Most do so with the injectors.) If you did not likely a big part of your fuel issues. These are very common the first place to look for a hard start and smoke at start. Generally the o-rings fail or the lines crack both letting the system loose prime and drain off to the tank. Thus causing a hard start.
c) You should check your fuel delivery lines (From tanks to IP) for diesel leaks that have collected dirt. I would also if in the budget replace the mechanical lift pump and rubber hose to it. This is a common point of failure and often hard to diagnose when starting to fail. Many have used a 5 gallon gas can with diesel, an electric pump, and hooked to the line going into the fuel filter. Test drove to see if the issues went away. Confirming the fuel delivery is the issue. If the PO switched to a electric lift pump, search on those. Some have had a good experience, many found theirs ran out head room at high rpm. I personally like the mechanical pump, simple and works at all rpms.
d) The tank selector valve and the fuel tank pick up lines are also problematic. The tank selector valves are old and common to failing while between tanks causing drivability issues. The pick up ends called a shower head come loose and fall off. Then the tank only goes to say 1/8 tank and sucks air as the gas swishes around.

3) It also appears you have a glow plug issue. Hard starts and smoke till you warm up.(Being out of time also causes smoke fyi.) Complicating your issue is 87‘ was the change over year from the early 6.9 gp system to the 88’ 7.3 glow plug system.(Some report their late 6.9 model has the new style gp controller.) They are very different and used different wiring. You can get a new system to work on a older truck but you will have to do a little wiring. It also is an option to install a momentary push button connected to ground to turn on the glow plugs on either system. So send us some pics of your current glow plug system and wiring. Then we can tell you what you have and how it works. In the meantime check the glow plugs with a ohm meter. Unplug the glow plug electrical connector and test the tip with one probe of the meter with the other tip touching a good ground. You should see resistance. No resistance or a ”open” is a dead glow plug. Only buy Motorcraft glow plugs, others report off brands balloon and get stuck or break off in the head.

You have several items needing to be addressed, but once you do your truck should run much better and consistent.

Last edited:

Bwyatt

Reaction score
Glow plugs works great it was never hard to start just was smoking a lot it also have a electric fuel pump off of 2000 7.3 Powerstroke on it The rings and injectors and lines where done 3 weeks before I got the truck no fuel leaks everything seems to work good just till I get going about 55-73 mph( my max speed on interstate) that’s where it haves problems I was thinking about just getting a new ip and have it retimed bc the pump is original and haves 335k on it. (When they put the other motor in it they swapped the dash with that cluster too). Just trying to get it to last as long as I can till I get my other trucks motor in it and get it to Florida with me so I can the 86 redone.

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that fuel pump is way too high pressure; you should be feeding the IDI injector pump about 5psi, not 40 - 70!

If that IP actually has 335K on it then replace it.

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
I think that fuel pump is way too high pressure; you should be feeding the IDI injector pump about 5psi, not 40 - 70!
@mblaney made a great point, and that would partially explain the timing being so out of whack.
it sounds like you also have air intrusion. The air intrusion and overfueling would definitely cause white smoke and the timing issue as well.

Rock

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder why the dash and Cluster was changed with the engine?
You say you have a Fuel pump off a 2000 7.3.

Is this a 7.3 IDI or a 7.3 Power Stroke?
Big Difference.

Goat

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Glow plugs works great it was never hard to start just was smoking a lot it also have a electric fuel pump off of 2000 7.3 Powerstroke on it The rings and injectors and lines where done 3 weeks before I got the truck no fuel leaks everything seems to work good just till I get going about 55-73 mph( my max speed on interstate) that’s where it haves problems I was thinking about just getting a new ip and have it retimed bc the pump is original and haves 335k on it. (When they put the other motor in it they swapped the dash with that cluster too). Just trying to get it to last as long as I can till I get my other trucks motor in it and get it to Florida with me so I can the 86 redone.
Your challenge is you have a lot of things not set to factory spec so hard to know the root cause of your issue.(Old IP, cranked up fuel setting, out of time, and potentialy a fuel pump creating 3x the pressure it should.)

If it was me I would have IP rebuilt, time it, and put a new mechanical fuel pump back in. Start there and back into any more issues.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online