idi gets fuel but won't start

Hammerfish94

Reaction score
Can I check it without removing the pump again ? Don't want to have to remove it if I don't have to. This my first time doing it and it takes me a while. That and does anyone know if there is anyone on here from the indy area that maybe able to take a look at it for me. Just to make Sure I did not do something else wrong first. Don't want to go through a bunch of work for nothing.

Hammerfish94

Reaction score
Do you know if there is anyone on here from indy that could help me out and maybe take a look at it. Just don't want to have to take it all of for nothing?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How did you keep it running to operating temp? Was it running on its own or on ether or???

If the answer is it was running on its own then you can probably ignore the rest of this.

Is the fuel shutoff solenoid working right? It seems like we jumped right to pump timing and maybe rightly so but I'd make sure everything else is in order before I tear the front cover off. Fundamentally, if the GP are working then you need fuel supply to the IP and the solenoid to open assuming the pump itself is mechanically sound. If it was running before you lost the pump shaft, I would say you can assume that the engine internals are probably okay. If you're satisfied that everything else is okay..... Then there's not much else to do but pull the housing and check timing. Really though even really out of time you'd think it would cough or smoke or something. That's what led me to ask about the fuel shutoff solenoid.

Hammerfish94

Reaction score
It was running on its own. I even drove it down the road just had no power at all only got up to 45
Then shut it off wait about 30 seconds try to start and nothing

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok..... I have personally seen/touched this truck. If there weren't houses in the way, I could shoot the window out of this truck with a BB Gun...... I actually got a call from the fella that sold this truck to Hammer, as I have the dealers Cub Cadet in my garage for some service work.

Here is where we are......

It's not air intrusion. Hammer has a piece of tygon in the returns at the pump/filter and it's 100% full of fuel...... even after sitting for extended periods... looks like the returns have been replaced recently....

The Glow Plugs are working correctly, and the afterglow is working as it should.....

It has a replacement pump sourced from AutoZone (before he was on here)

The Gear Tower was removed to replace the pump (Again, before he was on here).....

When I was over there, if you cranked with the starter after the WTS light went out, it would just crank, not hit, no smoke.......

If you waited for a few minutes for the plugs to cool, hit is with a "spritz" of ether it would catch and run on its own........ didn't really have a diesel cackle/rattle I would expect..... if you let it warm up. Shut the key off and immediately try to restart it, it won't start without ether..... it also has no power and will not make it to 50 mph if you drive it.... it also is not shifting correctly, but that's the FIPL out of adjustment, which we discussed....

I am 99% certain (confirmed by the other local IDI guy) the timing is off..... no smoke and not starting..... it's way late...... also, if you CRANK the pump over to the passenger side, it's a bit better..... but, the ether will get the party started and the pump can keep it going, it just won't get going on its own......

Unfortunately, I think gear timing, with a possibility of an iffy pump is the problem.......

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance