idi engines everywere

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well im not sure the next time i will be out there, they did have all the clusters and doors on some were in pretty good shape, so were the bench seats, ill find out some prices for you when i can, wish they would post them on there website, most engines in those trucks were complete, give me a list of what your looking for and ill get you prices, and there is allot of neons out there haha, one had all the blue convolute on the wiring under hood and a carbon fiber hood on it that was pertty nice looking,

expensivehobby

Reaction score
Nice on the Neon. There were always like 20-30 in uncrashed condition at the Parts Galore locations I used to frequent.

I'll shoot you a list via pm.

nsjames

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 5 speeds in those old U-Haul trucks are Clark 5 speed trannies, they are direct drive 5 speeds.
actually they're spicer units.

granny low first
Direct 5th, terrible gear split between 4th and 5th.

Be sure and get the trans adaptor plate, flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate with the transmission. Might want to snag the clutch hydraulics while you are at it. I'd really like to have a Eaton Fuller FSO-8604 behind my IDI. Sure would be overkill, but wouldn't have to worry about overloading that transmission.

Heath

they're SAE #2 clutch housings.
mechanical
14' clutches.

anyway it's most of what you need to put a regular MDT trans of your choosing behind it. The clutch housing is the crucial bit.

just remember that if you're going to go pull one there are no motor mounts, so you have to drop the motor if you want the clutch housing.

I have a wish list of parts, I may have to head up that way and look it over.

also keep in mind that these are IH spec pumps, so lower RPM, more conservative fueling and no tach.

next you go out there if you can look and see if there's a not beat to hell bumper, that's on my list since mines all bent and rusty.

Last edited:

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sure ill take a look when i get out there again, and thanks for the info on the engine mounts wouldnt want to find out the hard way haha, would anyone by chance know if i was to put that spicer transmission in my truck what speed would i be able to drive it at? i dont have the lower rpm pump and i am running 3.55 axles with 35 inch tires, just wonering if i could hit 70 to 75 without the engine roaring down the highway?

nsjames

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you'd be good.

I'm running a 4.30 rear end with 33'ish tires. I top out at 73 full on against the governor.

now, at some point in it's life mine had a new IP put on, and since I don't have a tach or timing setup I'm not entirely sure on my max RPM, so I can't tell you if that's 2800 IH pump or 3300 Ford pump.

either way I think you'd be fine.
You must be registered for see images attach

the drivetrain mounts are something interesting. The engine hangs off the front of the clutch housing and the trans hangs off the rear. There are two mounts on the clutch housig thta are tied to the frame rails. That's it. So if you want to get the housing you've got to pull the trans and the motor, cause it's the only thing holding both of those in.

blew my mind when I first saw it, I can't fathom how that housing supports the full weight of the drivetrain, but it does and that's how it is.

edit:
I looked in my photobucket and I've got no pics of the mounts.
If you want some and maybe a heads up on what size sockets and such you need to pull one let me know and I'll stop out at the barn sometime this week and find out on mine. I can tell you they will be giant bolts. Nothing on these things is small, I've had to buy several new 1" drive things just to do maintenance on mine.

Last edited:

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea wow, what if i was to support the engine with a cherry picker and then unbolt and remove the transmisson then let the engine rest on the frame once i have the trans and bellhousing out? i could even get blocks of wood so it dont damage the engine for the next guy, think that would be fine, or would it be easier to pull the hole thing take the trans and then set the engine back in?

nsjames

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you're going to need the clutch housing to use the trans. It's separate from the trans.

You're going to have to drop the whole thing, unbolt the trans from clutch, then unbolt the clutch from the motor and leave it on the ground.

I'l get you some pictures on my next afternoon off. be a little later this week.
oh, and since the hod flips forward you'll probably have to pull the hinge pins to get a picker in there.
The motor is super low in the chassis, so I'd probably just use a pair of floor jacks and some straps to secure it and lower it down.

you can barey see the valve covers above the frame rails.

if ever you wanted to do on board air, grab the haldex compressor and the pedestal it sits on.
the pedestal is also the drain back to the sump.
this is him.

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nice pics and would appreciate the other ones, so im going to plan a day and bring some buddies they wont allow jacks in there but they have nice engine hoists that roll so ill use that and i just might get that on board air system to, man i feel like a kid in candy land, so many things i want to get in salvage yards LOL even if i won the lottery i would be in salvage yards getting old trucks and parts i love it

nsjames

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the air compressor is fed pressured oil from the back, somewhere near the oil cooler. THen it drains into the pedestal (big hole) and te pedestal s attached to the block.

I don't know if you'd be able to fit it in a pickup truck.

It's also liquid cooled from the cooling system, so you'd have to sort that out.

still, it's a pretty boss compressor complete with an unloader that's set to about 110 psi. The uhaul trucks were all air ride.

you may want to snatch the hydroboost setup as well if you're into that sort of thing.

here's books in my scribd account with the wiring/trans and hydroboost manuals.
http://www.scribd.com/collections/3552857/Uhaul-Documents-and-Manuals

here's my photobucket acount album with everything uhaul in there.
http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b38/NSJAMES/UHaul/

I'm not sure if any of those are useful or not.
I think MT4Runner has some clutch pics in his toterhome thread on pirate.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/tow-rigs-trailers/691445-mt4runners-toterhome-uhaul-project.html

somewhere in the last 10 pages I'd bet, recently done.

Last edited:

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i thought about the hydroboost but that can wait, i went out there before and i was blinded by idi engines i didnt even pay attention to the hydroboost on the trucks, i like the pics i see you fit your jeep in there, nice never thought about something like that, good looking jeep to, good info on manuals it will come in handy thanks,

warmblood58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey! Need the cold air intake plastic that connects to the round air cleaner for a 7.3 IDI e350 van - did you notice any? Thanks!

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
send me a pm so next time i go ill check them to remind me, have a few people that want me to see about some parts

nsjames

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i thought about the hydroboost but that can wait, i went out there before and i was blinded by idi engines i didnt even pay attention to the hydroboost on the trucks, i like the pics i see you fit your jeep in there, nice never thought about something like that, good looking jeep to, good info on manuals it will come in handy thanks,

I can't claim the idea.
There were a few that came before me.

I'm venturing into uncharted territory with vresion 2.0 though.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/tow-rigs-trailers/969976-another-uhaul-toter-thread.html

the jeep is a 500 pile of crap with thousands of dollars in axles.
sadly its badly rusted and has been mangled by 5 years of hard wheeling.

Its on the way to the great scrapyard in the sky and I'm on the search for another comanche body that's in good shape to swap my running gear too.

in the meantime we bought my wife a loaded cherokee to DD, and we're having a good time wheeling a stock Jeep again.
this is her loving the skinny pedal @ 1:40 in the burgundy stocker.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcxCKQ6oAT0&feature=youtu.be

all brought to the event by an old 180HP IDI getting 8 MPG @ 70 MPH.

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nice, it dont matter if it was cheap as long as your out wheeling having fun, i used to have a dakota, put a 3 inch lift on it some nice new 33 inch tires and a v8 swap, was great off road but had horrible fuel mileage, air cleaner came off one day out in the mud and that was the end of it,

took my crew cab out but its so heavy this is what happens, broke two straps trying to get me out, took a front end loader and 40 foot steel cable to get me out

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online