I would like to verify what I already fear

ConstantVigilance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I think I need to rebuild my Turbo again. I rebuilt it probably a year ago and maybe I did something wrong in the rebuild. It seemed pretty straightforward and simple.

If someone can take a listen on my test drive and hear what I'm hearing.

What noise is there that wasn't there before is a very high whine when I let off the fuel to shift gears.

There is also some vibrations that showed up simultaneously as the strange sounds from the turbo. The vibrations go away as soon as I start driving. When I checked my oil I was probably 2 quarts low at least. Then I noticed that I was spitting oil out of my exhaust. Not a lot but enough.

Also, there is a noise that seems to come from the turbo that wasn't there before that test run.

And then if anyone knows a good website where I could buy the entire kit. That is, the exhaust wheel the compressor wheel, and rebuild kit.

Also, if I should think about upgrading either of these wheels to something more efficient. Or are the wheels in these Banks turbo chargers tuned or specced out for these IDI's?

Lastly, please ignore the gruesome sounds from the steering column. I've been meaning to fix that. Just about got all the parts collected.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i haven't messed with them too much, but I have seen guys on here just take the inlet off the turbo, and then grab the turbo vane shaft and wiggle it around and spin it and just manually check it out. If it has a lot of play and doesn't turn smooth, I think that is a problem.

ConstantVigilance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely has some up and down play, but no in and out play. I think the up and down play seems like too much. I can here it click in there...

Other than that, did you hear any other unwelcome sounds?

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's the best turbo kit available on the market:

Call Russ (Type4) or Wes (Classic Diesel Designs) and have them rebuild it. Lots of heat, lots of RPMs on the wheels, and lots of tricks to disassemble and reassemble correctly. I'm all for rebuilding stuff myself, but IMHO you are better off sending it off to one of them to go through.

Good luck no matter which direction you go in.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'm no turbo expert, but here's my .02. Suddenly developing strange noises and vibrations from the turbo, plus unusually high oil consumption (showing up in the exhaust) sounds like it's time to go back inside your turbo. I will second Russ or Wes.

ConstantVigilance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Indeed. Thank you for the response. I've removed the turbo and ran the motor and those funny noises went away.

Will be rebuilding again

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86