I used to play "where are the valve covers"

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I like the new body style... not as well as some of the others, but it is much better than the 08-10 SuperDuty. I would love to have one.... I have read they are a pulling monster. It is does look crowded under the hood, but not much worse that the 6.0 and 6.4. I also read they have made them more service friendly, where the cab does not need to be removed unless it is a major service issue. It does appear to be an engineering masterpiece and I like the innovations, such as the reverse flow and the compound, single unit VGT turbo.... I hope this does help to propel diesel engines forward, and hopefully, we can get diesels in cars in the US.... which I think they really missed the boat on the hybrids, it should have been a small diesel rather than a gas engine if they really wanted mileage...... but that is another story..... maybe one of these days the 6.0 can have a 6.7 playmate..... I just need to wait till the $$$$ comes down.......

Pulling a cab is not a big deal on the superdutys(99-11) I did a head job on a 6.0 last summer. I have never done any 6.0 work pryer to that. I had the cab and nose off the truck in under 4 hours, outside at a friends HOUSE. Took me about 6 hours to replace the heads, gaskets, & ERG delete. took another 2 hours to put cab/nose back on and test drive. It is not hard at all to work on a truck when you can sit on the tire and wrench.
....I talked to a ford tech and he says he can have the cab off of a truck in about hour and 15 min. Has a complete head gasket job( lift cab, replace head gaskets, set cab back on, have running) in about 8 hours. How many guys can do that on a IDI?

Besides , alot of you guys recommend pulling the engine on an IDI to do head gaskets since the heads are so heavy.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I had a bunch of money, I'd probably go buy a new one. It would be nice to just change the oil in a truck and not worry about anything else. I've owned enough 90's vehicles to realize that all the new fangled electronic plastic crap starts wasting away over time. And it's a pain in the ass to diagnose sometimes. Seems like time is as much a factor as mileage. I'd either buy new, and just plan on throwing it away after a few decades, or get something old and mechanical like my trusty 'ol IDI.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I know taking the cab off makes it easy to work on, they do it on the Triton half ton body also... Dad has a 97 F-250 Light Duty and the 5.4 spit a plug, and they removed the cab to replace the head..... The only problem I see for myself in removing the cab is the fact mine is an Excursion... and I would have to lift the entire body off the frame, bumper to bumper.... that could be fun..... in a shop I don't think it would be to bad.....

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know taking the cab off makes it easy to work on, they do it on the Triton half ton body also... Dad has a 97 F-250 Light Duty and the 5.4 spit a plug, and they removed the cab to replace the head..... The only problem I see for myself in removing the cab is the fact mine is an Excursion... and I would have to lift the entire body off the frame, bumper to bumper.... that could be fun..... in a shop I don't think it would be to bad.....
that's where being a little enterprising comes in.:D
I've been hitting the dealership liquidation auctions and buying used lifts at $400-$800 each. I sell them at $1200-$1500 delivered but not installed.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
that's where being a little enterprising comes in.:D
I've been hitting the dealership liquidation auctions and buying used lifts at $400-$800 each. I sell them at $1200-$1500 delivered but not installed.

Hum.... may have to go shopping..... I wonder if it would **** off the neighbors if I installed a lift in the driveway..... the garage is not tall enough....

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
I can hope international says hey the big three are doing well with what they have, time for us to bring back a one ton and show the boys how men build trucks! :love: a man can dream right?????

-Jon

I was hoping this would push International to make a pickup too!

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Oh and they sound amazing straight piped! Turbo sounds like a medium duty truck straight piped when they let off from WOT. And that idle :sly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_DLAFMD7wI

hey,I have heard that sound before.....that is what my deuce sounded like when the turbo blew up on me.Heard that same urrr sound and then lost sight of 1/4 mile of 4 lane highway!

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I had a look at a 6.7 on an engine stand while on a Ford course, lots of high end engineering on this one...Like it or lump it all brands are headed this way thanks to the law makers. Urea will be used on big rig's as well....Not a big deal, it's been in use in Europe for a while. I guess time will tell on this one - hopefully it will work out for Ford to get the bad taste of the 6.0 and 6.4 out of everyones mouth....If I had the dough I wouldn't think twice about owning a 6.0, 6.4 or 6.7 - I've spoken to a few Ford reps and techs who all agree on oe thing - do your maintenance exactly as Ford says from day one and you will have very little trouble with your 6. whatever.....Ignore it and you will be sorry.....Don't worry, it won't be toomuch longer before there won't be a diesel pickup available on the market with the way emissions laws are going....Why pay $10,000 more to buy high maintenance and headaches.

cetanefreek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I work on diesel pickups almost everyday, high performance and not, drag racers to trailer pullers to everyday commuters and if I had $60,000 in the bank for a new rig that's what I'd go buy first thing in the morning. mainly because Ford didn't take any bailout money, but I also talked at some length with on of the developing engineers. I really like how this one is put together, and it is made to be worked on WITHOUT pulling the cab. whether it is still easier to work on with the cab off remains to be seen but that was the idea.

all that stuff on the top comes off fairly easily and quickly.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
Im a big skeptic of the new 6.7, I know its "easier" than the 6.4's but Im still thinking its gonna be a big headache. Im a ford fan through and through, but the same people that gave us the "v10 triton" garbage are now building and designing diesels, albeit a very very tested diesel. Im not sold, I do however like that Im now so proficient at the 6.0 that I have no worry about being able to work as long as they are around, and there is a metric **** ton of them on the roads.

punk

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
I'll stick to my IDI, I had a Ford rep at the detroit auto show tell me that it's more reliable, let alone cheaper to maintain than the 6.7

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Im a big skeptic of the new 6.7, I know its "easier" than the 6.4's but Im still thinking its gonna be a big headache. Im a ford fan through and through, but the same people that gave us the "v10 triton" garbage are now building and designing diesels, albeit a very very tested diesel. Im not sold, I do however like that Im now so proficient at the 6.0 that I have no worry about being able to work as long as they are around, and there is a metric **** ton of them on the roads.

punk

Hey,I loved my V10 triton.If you drove it like a detroit it would scream in a 7500Lb 4x4 truck rolling on 33s.....Too bad you could HEAR the motor in the gas gauge moving too.