I need a starter.....

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay I think I need a starter. I could possibly replace the solenoid at the starter but I don't want to waste money on it. When the starter is cold it will just click (not the fender solenoid I can cross it and it does the same). After turning the key and letting it click several times it will go ahead and crank over. Once its cranking I can stop and continue to crank as much as I want. Its seems like this is the solenoid at the starter because the starter cranks pretty fast. Its a mitsubishi starter. I have heard the denso starters are the best so thats the one I want to go with. Well on ebay there are some for around 100 but I am not sure if they are some kind of cheaper knock offs or are they just as good? I found some for 100.95 w/ free shipping. I also found one that says denso right on the case for 140 and about 15 for shipping. I would be willing to pay the difference if its a better starter. They all say new and are 2.5 KW where as the mitsu is a 3.5 KW. I am assuming it doesn't matter on that the smaller one just draws less and should be more kind to my batterys. Locally the cheapest is 140 and is the same as the mitsubishi one that I have. The mitsu is a planetary gear reduction starter and the denso appears to just be a normal gear reduction starter.

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
I have one, but i got a cheep one and it is messed up. So that might be something to think about

chops85

Reaction score
I also recommend db electrical. I've bought starters for both my trucks and several small engines. Shipping was pretty quick too.

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well these are the starters I have been looking at:
First one not sure if its the same quality as the second
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120642925691&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Second one says denso on a sticker on it
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35ae71f3dc

I started to watch that video but it seemed to be a do it yourself type video. I am sure I could repair mine but I was thinking the denso would be an upgrade over what I have. Mine must be a gear reduction, its a planetary type. Its also a pita to get that top bolt in and the smaller denso looks like it might be easier.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I personally think the mitsu is the best starter, i have had many on different trucks, they will take a ton of abuse and keep on going, they just wont die

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got to thinking about it, it has never given me any problems until I tore the truck down. The fender solenoid was bad before but I fixed that. I did have the cable off the starter when the truck was apart, I know I put it on tight but I wonder if it needs tightened more. I also painted the engine, I wonder if there could be a grounding issue through the paint. I wouldn't think so since the starter is bolted to the block so it should ground through the bolts fine. And I guess the solenoid might just be bad on the starter. I haven't tried crossing it when it acts up. Whats weird is that it keeps on working once its first works but if I try it the next day it is doing it all over again. I am still strongly considering just replacing it regardless if its the solenoid because I want everything dependable on the truck for next year.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Check all your your cable and grounds, if you painted the block but didnt clean the block grounds off i would start there

BUbbas94F350

Reaction score

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats funny I just ordered one tonight about an hour ago. I got the one for 100.95 with free shipping. I couldn't tell if there was a difference and I missed that auction so I just got the cheaper one. I am just getting tired of the starter clicking and hitting it w/ a hammer.

BUbbas94F350

Reaction score
This is for my '90 350..ive been beating it so much its starting to look like a potatoe..and it just wont go anymore click click thats it..so when i can bare the cold i will change it next week

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well best of luck to you on getting it changed, sounds about like the same situation as my starter. I thought about doing the solenoid but really wanted to try this different style because I have heard good things about it. The price was right also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online