I must be crazee....

diezelcrazee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many of you have ever bought something sight unseen? I mean buy it on pics and someones word? Especially something like a car or truck..... Well I have before, and there have been times when it turned out ok, and then others that didn't turn out so good. Some of them were bad enough that I said: "self, you better never do that again"

Well whatever, here I go again....:dunno

I have gotten into burning WMO and after having pretty good results with it in my old 89 f250, I decided to look for something a little nicer for a dd, and also with an auto so the wifey could drive it.

So, I have a good friend out in Tennessee who is an auto trans tech, and when I told him what I was looking for, a 93 or 94 IDI Turboed truck he said that he had a friend out there wanting to sell a really nice 94 f350 CC 4x4 that they had recently put a new Jasper E40D trans in.

I got some pics, and then I talked to the owner.....and now all thats left is for me to make the trip out there to pick it up!!! I'm pretty excited about it, for a 94 its in really good condition, and only has 172K on the odometer.

Heres a few pics:

You must be registered for see images attach

My friends all think I have lost my mind :idiot: cuz I'm selling my 03 Lariat 7.3 PSD to buy a truck thats 9 years older.....But they haven't been bitten with the IDI/WMO bug like I have...cookoo

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Good for you about buying a stupid simple idi compared to the newer all electronic controlled trucks. I know the new ones are nicer and have lots of cup holders but can you easily fix them on a road trip some late sunday nite... In the dark... Nope... Simple wil get you home too and not so many under the seat parts are ...

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you get it, give us the run down!

I bought mine on site, knowing it had "issues".... no difference here, except you at least had a third party friend verify some claims. The rebuilt tranny is a huge plus! The rest is all easy stuff, barring the catastrophic failure

Good luck on ya!

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
I bought my dually from darrin sight unseen other than pics. Drove 14 hrs to get it and traded a 02 duramax for it... So no you are perfectly fine in my mind

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I swear I saw that truck for sale. Maybe on craigslist or something. Nice truck!! I love that green. You might check a shipping company versus getting it yourself.

I've bought many vehicles site unseen and had them shipped in. Most of them were wrecked. So You figure on them being worse than in the pictures and always buy cheap.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
I bought a 1971 international pickup, 4 door long bed, last summer sight unseen. Just going on the owners word. Flew out to hereford, az and drove her 2700 miles back home to pa! Crazy? Not at all. If you love old vehicles like I do id do it again in a heartbeat!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a 1971 international pickup, 4 door long bed, last summer sight unseen. Just going on the owners word. Flew out to hereford, az and drove her 2700 miles back home to pa! Crazy? Not at all. If you love old vehicles like I do id do it again in a heartbeat!
you have no idea being young figures into pulling a stunt like that. really.

in late 2004 a dodge dealer advertised in the IDI forums at TDS my '92 i currently drive for $3500.
back then that was a screaming deal for a ZF5 equipped truck.
I made a commitment to buy it sight unseen and caught the next plane to STL. drove it back to TXand then to kali from STL.
only deal I have ever done sight unseen without getting screwed.

diezelcrazee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good for you about buying a stupid simple idi compared to the newer all electronic controlled trucks. I know the new ones are nicer and have lots of cup holders but can you easily fix them on a road trip some late sunday nite... In the dark... Nope... Simple wil get you home too and not so many under the seat parts are ...

Yep, I REALLY like simple. Ive owned 2 IDIs in the past, a 86 F350 I bought new (only new truck I was ever stupid enuff to buy), and a 90 F350 CC Dually. So I'm liking getting back into simple stuff. I went through diesel mech training 35 years ago and mechanical injection was all they had back then, so thats what I really like.....

When you get it, give us the run down!

I bought mine on site, knowing it had "issues".... no difference here, except you at least had a third party friend verify some claims. The rebuilt tranny is a huge plus! The rest is all easy stuff, barring the catastrophic failure

Good luck on ya!

Ya, that tranny still has some warranty left on it, another reason that I went with this truck.

Thanks to all for the ;Sweet

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
I bought my truck in Vancouver WA and drove it home to Auburn CA. It was on an equipment dealer's lot, I called the guy and spoke with him, he sent me a couple small pictures. Other than that it was just a "young" moment flying up early morning, buying the truck, and driving it home the same day...

;Really

It was a big risk, but in life sometimes you've gotta take chances... :D

I paid $3500 for mine, 4x4 turbo, zf5... Hard to find those down here too often, and they are usually alot more. He was asking 4k for it, but the clutch obviously needed work, and the glowplugs were shot (he had it plugged in when I got there...)

:sly

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
I've had okay experiences buying online. The only time I've ever really been screwed was the 92 Chevy 1500 4x4 that I bought in Ohio. Dude was a terrible businessman, but apparently an amazing photographer(or photoshop artist). The truck looked cherry in the pictures on eBay. When I got there to pick it up, it was an utter piece of garbage. The rocker panels were rusted to hell. I'm amazed the body hadn't separated from the frame due to the rust. The A/C didn't work, nor did the radio. Both were advertised as working. Wiper motor was shot, and various other electrical issues. He was conveniently out of town, so I had to deal with his secretary who refused to give my deposit back. I decided to just accept the truck and turn him in to eBay, who did nothing of course. Amazingly the PoS made it home to Utah. The transmission died 6 months later and I scrapped the truck.

Maverick1701

Full Access Member
Reaction score
very cool rig! I cant wait to see more pics/video when you get her home.

I have bought several vehicles sight unseen and have had good luck so far.

Reaction score
Bought? No, but I rode from San Diego to Salinas to buy my 89 gasser from a dealer. I'd all but made the deal via email, but didn't put any money down on it. Hitched a ride up, saw it, liked it, drove it home. No issues. In fairness, I had a buddy up there check it out for me before I made the trek.

Mike

Hoss6.9

V - "The BOSS"
Reaction score
I have bought quite a few things online. Between ebay and CL, etc.... I have bought 7 trucks, a van, a durango, my car trailer, my enclosed trailer, a couple tractors, a couple snow plows, several tv's, my walking floor trailer, quite a few parts and accessories, etc and have had very good luck. And it was all sight unseen. Looking at going to get another truck tomorrow or sunday morning. Found a truck for a friend of mine on CL and he went and bought it. I have a knack for locating alot of things on CL. I seem to be the goto guy in the area if someone is looking for something. And I have made some coin doing it too.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
I got my '90 donor truck sight unseen. I got a ride the 160+ miles to northern CA and, knowing it had some fuel issues, drove it back to Nevada with 4 bald rear tires, 7 years past due registration and a smoke screen that was just screaming "Pull me over". Made it the whole way without getting caught or catching on fire from the fuel leak.... Might do it again! LOL