I just cant get ahead

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Well today started as a good day, so this evening i leave out towards napa to see what they would charge to change a u-joint in my front axle, my buddy desides to come with me too just to ride along cause he aint got nothing else to, well we get out at napa and as were walking he says wait i hear something running like water, instanly i said **** and looked under the truck and sure enough water was pouring from under the truck, not leaking flat out pouring!-cuss

so i crawl under it and get to looking around and its comming from the starter area, and i reach up there and man that dont feel like it belongs there and i grabbed it and pulled it out and it was the block heater had blowed out of the block:eek:-cuss so i go in there and say you got anything that will fit this hole and they give me a rubber freeze plug with metal caps on both ends and a bolt to tighten it and say try this well i shoved it in there and tightened it up and it didnt leak(thank god) well i had to buy 2 gallons of antifreeze and 2 gallons of water and the freeze plug came out to around 30 dollars, money i was going to send to russ to finsh paying him off so i could start working to pay flatlander-cuss Damnit i just cant get ahead!

Well i figured i would share my expeirence and ventilate my anger before i burned the truck to the groundLOL
O and is that rubber freeze plug a good idea?

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
You and me have the same luck. My steering column just went south on me. The shifter mechanism broke when I was out with my buddy while he as going to buy a car. So I limped it home and fixed that. Then the return line sprung a HUGE air leak (while I was fixing the shifter, the cable disturbed the lines) and now it stalls when it wants to.

I might just sell the truck and move to mexico....drink tequilla all day long!

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
You and me have the same luck. My steering column just went south on me. The shifter mechanism broke when I was out with my buddy while he as going to buy a car. So I limped it home and fixed that. Then the return line sprung a HUGE air leak (while I was fixing the shifter, the cable disturbed the lines) and now it stalls when it wants to.

I might just sell the truck and move to mexico....drink tequilla all day long!

If it wasnt for bad luck i wouldnt have any at all!

And moving to mexico and watching all the ladies walking by while driking tequilla sounds great!

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
O and is that rubber freeze plug a good idea?
I've heard others say that it's not a good idea...apparently it's possible for the rubber plug to blow out.

With that said, I've had one in place of my block heater for going on 5 1/2 years and about 50K miles now. I haven't had any major problems with it, but the last time I took a look at it, it was corroded nice and good...and I noticed some drops of coolant under my truck on that side that I suspect may be coming from it. IIRC the block heater hole's slightly larger than the freeze plugs, so simply putting in a freeze plug won't work, and I've got an early 6.9l block that risks cracking, so installing another block heater would only be for the purpose of plugging the hole...so I'm not really sure what to do at this point :dunno

Last edited:

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
After trying to install new freeze plugs in my old FSJ with the engine in the truck I'd say NEVER AGAIN! I used a rubber plug one time in something, don't remember what, and never had trouble, since the block heater already came out ya can't do much worse :dunno

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
i had a lebaron that was given to me that the guy did that to all 3 of the plugs on the back of the block. they are ok for awhile but the antifreeze will attack the rubber and overtime they will just fall into the block and leak all over again

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
/\----so change the rubber plugs every time you flush your cooling system?

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
If I had about a week with absolutely nothing to do, I'd scan and post my file folder full of receipts for That Damn Truck.

I feel your pain

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
If I had about a week with absolutely nothing to do, I'd scan and post my file folder full of receipts for That Damn Truck.

I feel your pain

this DAMN tuck is running a bill higher and higherLOL sooner or later i will buy your turbo, when i sell mine on ebay

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
freeze plugs should not be a maintenece item lol

True, but it beats pulling the engine and is likely only every couple years, beats an OH CHIT on the side of the road, granted if more than 1 or 2 needs it then perhaps pulling the engine is the thing to do.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Try having a new truck!

I would probly burn it then! i cant stand new vehicles, i hate working on them, i have to work on my step dads Camaro Z28 with the LT1 in it, those things are crazy, you cant even see the plug wires or distributor from the top of the engine:eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert