I Have Felt the Power

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
I broke down and joined the "Dark Side" and bought a 2010 Dodge 3500HD 6.7L Auto 4x4 CC DRW. It is a towing monster! I needed something to tow with now and not have to work on it to get the towing and stoping power I need right now. I still have the 93 F350 and plan on keeping it and I would one day like to see it pull and stop like this Dodge. That would be better than the Dodge.

Installed a B&W Turnover Ball gooseneck hitch Sat and did the first test pull Sun. I have 36' 4 horse trailer with 12' LQ. Weighs in dry weight 8725#. Pulled 1900' mountain (as we call them in AL) It is a 3 mile pull with a couple of places at 13%. We went up that like it was not there!

Coming down was a pleasure also. Never had to touch the brakes except when I was testing the Tow/Haul. The exhaust brake and Tow/Haul could bring it to a stop almost without brakes.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
I aint trying to knock you but I'm curious if you checked out the F-350 6.7? If so how did they compare?

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah yes, that new stuff will spoil ya:D They're just so damned expensive. Good on ya for buying a Dodge though;Sweet
Travis..

FordGuy100

Reaction score
No doubt, new trucks are nice. Use to be your motor limited how much you could haul. Now days it's te frame/ axles that are the limiting factor, as the new motors make enough to move a mountain LOL

I really like the new dodge front ends

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Enjoy your Cummins, it's just a shame it's wrapped in goat fur;Poke....Pay serious attention to your warranty expiration on that Cummins, the parts prices are retarded for them - not that you should have any amount of trouble with it but if you do you want Dodge to foot the bill.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And all I can think about is "what could I do to an IDI with a 40k build budget?" LOL

Congrats on the new truck.

burtcheca

farmer/cabinetmaker
Reaction score
I'm sure it's a beautiful truck, and should smell nice too at the same time you are pulling those horses in the trailer like you have no trailer hitched; but I rather sleep like a baby with no monthly payments.

May the Lord bless you with a lot of work and money so you can pay it off soon, before the storm in the horizon reaches us and this guy we put in the White House finish burning down what is left of our country.

Burt, a bitterclinging Florida *******.

pybyr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congratulations on your new truck.

And at the same time I'm another one of those who sees the IDIs as oldies but goodies.

I owned an '06 Dodge Cummins and it was wonderful in many ways, but I am far more deeply fond of my current 'rolling time warp' - it's all about basic function, and most things on it can be dealt with by a DIY-er with non-exotic tools. That's ceased to be the case with any of the new trucks.

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
Theanks for the comments guys.

You may or may not know how hard I fought this. I have been contemplating buying another truck seriously for 6 months. I have considered everything from FL-60's. 5500, 4500, 550, 450, 350 Chevy GMC Ford Freightliner KW you name it, anything in the medium duty to 1 ton range.

I have owned nothing but Fords, except the 84 Toy SR5 4x4 I got on a trade once and still have, (Love riding mountain roads/trails in it) but, I could not force myself to buy an unproven Ford diesel.

With rebates from Dodge, Farm Bureau and some wheeling, dealing and beginning of new model year, I got the truck quite a bit under $40K. It is a lot of money, but I have spent over $30K on purchase and modifications to my F350 since I bought it new in 93. I love the F350 still, but it is my project truck now and not my only form of towing. One day it may replace this Dodge. Just have to see what happens.

I have thought about the economy and I have a decent retirement set up for my wife and I, and if I lose that then none of us will be doing anything but struggling. Hope that never happens for all our sakes. BTW, OBAMA WILL BE GONE IN JAN 2013. And I hope much of our current Congress will be gone Jan 2011.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW, OBAMA WILL BE GONE IN JAN 2013. And I hope much of our current Congress will be gone Jan 2011.

Promises Promises......:rotflmao

I am hopefuly, yet dubious...Congrats on the truck.

So did 2010 get the new sheetmetal, or is that a 2011? that new Sheet metal is dead sexxxxayyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy.

(funny I should stumble upon this thread, as I was just mulling over the idea of a 4bt inplace of the 401 when I ditch the IDI.. a mild 4bt should be match a to a hot IDI in power, and higher mpg)

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
Clydesdale,
Not sure but I think it is the new sheetmetal. I don't believe there will be much change in 2011. But I have not seen the 2011 either.

Just checked and the 2011 is very similiar to the 2010.

After feeling the power, I would have to go with the 6bt in the full size Ford!

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ennh, was kicking that idea around.. but managed (provided the PM turns out to be what it is) to create the scratch to throw the 6.6 I-6 I have lusted after for 1.5 years in there.

Tractor pullers make thousands of horsepower out of this motor, I am aspiring to hit what you have stock, that is all..... Should be a good ride.