I have a question!

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What towcat said. I know of a good rebuilt7.3 up here for 2500.00 Respectable shop built it for his father in law then the FIL died in a boating accident. Had a ton of stuff done to it. Studs, cryo, balanced new cam and gears . It is complete pan to pump .And I know of a truck coming that way next weekend.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
you can turbo a 6.9 without studding it, but dont exceed 12psi of boost, if you want more then you have to stud it.

t-roymoose

Reaction score
What towcat said. I know of a good rebuilt7.3 up here for 2500.00 Respectable shop built it for his father in law then the FIL died in a boating accident. Had a ton of stuff done to it. Studs, cryo, balanced new cam and gears . It is complete pan to pump .And I know of a truck coming that way next weekend.

That sound like it would be a great motor. The only problem is I don't have $2500. :dunnoIf I sold my car then It wouldn't be a problem. I can't sell it until I get my truck running again. That is why I need a motor on the cheeper side.

Or if someone got my truck up and running again I would trade them my 94 BMW 325is.:cool

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
just look around for some trucks with running motors or just someone who has a motor, i bought a good 6.9 comoplete motor for 150 dollars a few weeks ago.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A 6.9 rarely cavitates or rips apart valve guides thanks to thicker cylinder walls and less oil control at the valve seals (meaning more oil can leak past the seals to lube the guids). I personally think a used 6.9 is a lower risk than a used 7.3 IDI and they seem to be cheaper to get anyway.

You most certainly can turbocharge a 6.9 with or without head studs. I would limit the boost to 10 PSI on a fresh head gasket job. 7-8 PSI for a used engine. The gasket doesn't often blow out all at once, but it can start to push the fire ring out of place if you go higher than 10 PSI even though the engine will condinue to run fine. But frankly even 5 psi is more than enough to get most jobs done on time.

Anything that bolted on to a 7.3 IDI will bolt on to a 6.9, so there won't be any compatibility problems for accessories.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
I didn't think of holes in the cylinder wall. I saw it on craigslist. It also comes with a 5 speed and a t-case. I don't need those just the block with the main internals. I am starting to get the itch of getting my truck up and running. Can anyone think of a good place to get a motor?
I've got a 88 7.3 I'll sell ya. Here is a vid of it running too

t-roymoose

Reaction score
Ok here is my new question (sort of). I took a better look at my 7.3 that was in my truck. Two pistons are bad on it. The rest are fine. Would I be able to replace the two pistons and put it back together? I was thinking I could re-hone the cylinders and I think it would be fine. What do you guys think? Also all my pistons have an "A" stamped on them except for one, and it is the bad one. This seems a bit wierd to me. There is a small dent in the cylinder wall also. It it at the top so I am thinking that That was old damage and someone replaced the piston.

The reason I wrecked the pistons is that I was spraying some water/**** and hot rodding my truck. I was running about 80+% of **** when it happened. It was my own stupidity that did it in the first place.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Ok here is my new question (sort of). I took a better look at my 7.3 that was in my truck. Two pistons are bad on it. The rest are fine. Would I be able to replace the two pistons and put it back together? I was thinking I could re-hone the cylinders and I think it would be fine. What do you guys think? Also all my pistons have an "A" stamped on them except for one, and it is the bad one. This seems a bit wierd to me. There is a small dent in the cylinder wall also. It it at the top so I am thinking that That was old damage and someone replaced the piston.

The reason I wrecked the pistons is that I was spraying some water/**** and hot rodding my truck. I was running about 80+% of **** when it happened. It was my own stupidity that did it in the first place.

what did it do to the pistons? any pics?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online