I am the new owner of another IDI

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The filler neck came today , that was fast! Thanks! I'll get some money sent out to you in the next few days ( She didn't put the shipping charges on the paper with your address. ) . I would get it to you sooner but I have a really bad stomach flu or something and can't seem to leave the bathroom :eek:

OFI said that I wouldn't be able to have this turbo re-sealed because they no longer make parts for it. He said to toss it and find a newer turbo.
get a hold of "typ4".
1)he's a member here.
2)he rebuilds turbos.
3)he might have a ATS alternative for you. if not, iirc "gonecrazyyj" has a Banks WG tubo f/s.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pm'ed Russ about re-sealing it. I also contacted gonecrazy about his turbos.

Hopefully there will be good news from one of them :D

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you plan on any towing at all, I would stay small with the turbo. The cooling system in the square body cant keep up to a healthy turbo motor, even with no trailer.

Square body's flow better and have more radiator surface area than GMT400 series trucks. Over heating is LESS of an issue in them and innercooler fitment is fairly easy.

I have gotten my Banks/rotomaster up to 22psi and I let off when I saw that psi, I was driving by EGT not boost while pulling up a hill loaded. That was on my 93 K3500 NV4500 maxxed fuel screw and timing adjustments made. 22psi is too much poost for a stock 6.2L you dont want over 6psi on a 6.2L unless you have head studs and 6.5L gaskets.

I had my Banks turbo resealed, there are kits still made.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gotta love this place. .....we're here to help you spend your money :D
:D

Square body's flow better and have more radiator surface area than GMT400 series trucks. Over heating is LESS of an issue in them and innercooler fitment is fairly easy.

I have gotten my Banks/rotomaster up to 22psi and I let off when I saw that psi, I was driving by EGT not boost while pulling up a hill loaded. That was on my 93 K3500 NV4500 maxxed fuel screw and timing adjustments made. 22psi is too much poost for a stock 6.2L you dont want over 6psi on a 6.2L unless you have head studs and 6.5L gaskets.

I had my Banks turbo resealed, there are kits still made.

Is yours WG'ed?

Russ said he could reseal it.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried to drive it around the property today with the turbo unhooked. Something is wrong with the trans ..haha.

It engages into all gears but it feels like it isn't locking up. It can't make it up even the smallest incline. It just revs and goes nowhere. This is a 4l80.
fluid level looks fine and it's clean, doesn't smell burnt.

Little more information .. Gear selector in OD it slips the worst, D not as bad but still bad, 2nd better, 1st better than 2nd. So reverse and OD slip the worst.

Last edited:

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping it's just low line pressure from a clogged or dropped filter :D

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I was almost thinking that, but wasn't sure.
The only experience I have with gm automatics is just pull and replace. No diagnosing.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the line pressure should be? I can only find posts with numbers that are considered low.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok .. I just checked the fluid again. Warmed up in park it doesn't even register on the dipstick. I don't know if I had a brain fart before and checked it with the engine off or what ... but it is definitely really low. I'm pickup up fluid, hopefully it fixes it.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok .. I just checked the fluid again. Warmed up in park it doesn't even register on the dipstick. I don't know if I had a brain fart before and checked it with the engine off or what ... but it is definitely really low. I'm pickup up fluid, hopefully it fixes it.
your issue is prolly there. if not, it's due for a rebuild. line pressures are pretty low for this trans.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nooo Calvin, don't say the "r" word :D. It's suppose to have 10k on it so lets hope it's just low fluid :)

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I added 3 quarts. It improved slightly. Now I can feel the engagement when I select gears. It still slips though. It looks to be about 2 quarts low still. I'm running to town for more fluid.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The day we bought our sons suburban, there were two diesel burbs here on CL, one was a 94 with all the cooling system upgrades and the other was a 97 with no upgrades and 170,000 miles.
We opted to pass both up, only to read a diesel power article of how rare they are and how collectors snatch em up quick. Both suburbans sold that day and I've never seen another later model diesel for sale since.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger