I am kinda curious from people who have owned both PS and IDI ? MPG Reliabilty

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Having owned, operated and have had issues with a few of both IDI and PSD's, I will say what many others have already said...The PSD 7.3's are a pleasure to operate, well dialed in, make good smooth power and get good mileage to power ratio and will run many many miles. The idi's are of course a bit more crude with less power but I would still choose them simply due to the fact they are simple. I have more faith in them getting me somewhere without leaving me stranded. That is more important to me then the added power and so forth of the PSD's. If I were towing more often and heavier wieghts, I may choose a PSD but I know I would be spending a lot more cash just replacing things (sensors/wiring) for peace of mind. Im not scared to work on a PSD as they can be figured out with a little research but I am bothered when I have to work on something that suddenly quits in the middle of a rain storm or whatever.

So, in a nut shell.....I would choose an idi and just learn to be a bit more patient. Which will pays off in the long run for both the truck and life in general in my opinion.

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
Thanks I believe I made the right choice, I looked at my IDI twice before I bought it. The first time I said there is no way I want a old rancher truck with Horsies tattooed in the windows but now I am realizing that is the one you want.

Drew2010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive had both, MPG wise, my IDI and my PSD were very similar, just shy of 20 on the top end... Reliability, I had bad luck with my IDI, but that doesnt mean everyone will. My OBS powerstroke was great. nothing more then gp's and batteries and it was trouble free the entire time I owned it. Kinda regret selling it, but my new 6.0 has been good too. Both trucks were not bad to work on, the IDI was slightly easier, but the PSD was no spaceship either.... My vote goes for the PSD

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
There is no doubt about it the power stroke is definitely better overall but fir a truck you can patch up easier to keep going I think I like the IDI better.

What about a mechanical direct injected diesel, would that be the ticket? I know electronic can be more efficient but I have changed an injector pump once and it was no big deal on a IDI. I think the old ones were way more easy to trouble shoot. I remember when my injector pump went out I called a shop and they said pull the fitting for the main fuel feed to the cylinders and if it has rubber in it you know you need a pump.

It doesn't get any easier to fix than that, put a new pump on it that was rebuilt and truck fired right up.

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
The 4R100 will bolt up. A couple of things need to be done to make it work.

The ZF6 will require some engineering to make it work.
So the 6.0 and newer engines have a different bolt pattern and design where the tranny hooks up? can a E4OD be beefed up to compete ?

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Yes, I think a mechanical DI engine is more stout then an idi. Like an early cummins for example...I just don't like how the trucks and running gear fall apart around the engine.

But I still have no issues driving an idi in a passenger vehicle. A couple of my most favorite passenger vehicle engines are idis and they are the B series Toyota diesels and the OE series Mercedes diesels and the 2.2 perkins used in the early rangers and the SD22's used in the Nissan 720 pickups.

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
Yes, I think a mechanical DI engine is more stout then an idi. Like an early cummins for example...I just don't like how the trucks and running gear fall apart around the engine.

But I still have no issues driving an idi in a passenger vehicle. A couple of my most favorite passenger vehicle engines are idis and they are the B series Toyota diesels and the OE series Mercedes diesels and the 2.2 perkins used in the early rangers and the SD22's used in the Nissan 720 pickups.

Electronic injection and tuning really has that much advantage performance wise over a mechanical injector pump.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
So the 6.0 and newer engines have a different bolt pattern and design where the tranny hooks up? can a E4OD be beefed up to compete ?

6 oh's are modular pattern, like the V10 and 5 floored.

With a good build E4's will take whatever you can throw can throw at them. Valve body mods, additional frictions, steel gear sets, and an updated input shaft will hold 400 hp easy. Add some billet to the mix 500+:D

FordGuy100

Reaction score
E4OD's/4R100's can be built to handle stupid power. There are actually a lot of high hp 6.0/6.4 guys who actually ditch the 5R110 and use them.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Why would they dump them?

5R uses swap shift technology. This is where solenoids are operated rapidly to shift each gear. Trying to keep the solenoids in sequence is tough. Usually what happen when tuned, you will get a couple of great shift points. Then the others will suck. Go back and fix those, and the first ones are crappy. It can be a tuning nightmare.

4R uses the old on off solenoids. Easy to tune, because there is nothing to it.

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
Thanks you all for the education, on the Ford enthusiast site they said you had to have the new 5 series tranny so you are saying they are just more complicated crap just like the newer trucks?

I hear stock they are tougher?