How to remove ignition lock cylinder without keys?

Discussion in '6.9L IH & 7.3L IDI Diesels' started by lindstromjd, Nov 30, 2011.

1. lindstromjd

lindstromjd Black Sheep

Is there a trick to getting this thing out? Or can I just drill out the little stud that keeps it in place in the column?

This is a junkyard non-tilt column to replace a tilt column that's broke. I'm trying to replace the lock cylinder with a good one from the store with keys so it actually works.

2. DragRag

DragRag Registered User

That's what I did, I drilled the little button out on the bottom that you are supposed to push in when you have the key to remove cylinder. It was a pita, but it worked in the end. I bought one without a key to.

3. 6.9poweredscout

6.9poweredscout Bleeds IH red...

Yeah I had a bronco with no keys, broke the cylinder so I could get it to turn, then pushed the button and it slid out.

4. lindstromjd

lindstromjd Black Sheep

How did you break it to turn?

5. Diesel_brad

Diesel_brad Dunce

Vise grips;Sweet

6. 94f450sd

94f450sd Supporting Member Supporting Member

Pop the chrome piece off and drill straight through the center with a good size bit.stick a screwdriver in it, wiggle and turn it.

7. RLDSL

RLDSL Diesel fuel abuser

HAve to be REAL careful if drilling down through. I tried that trick and followed every instruction I could find to a T... and wound up drilling all the way through to the gear mechinism -cuss Trashed that steering column. I like the idea of drilling through the button better, because EVEN after thrashing everything, I still had to maul the thing apart and that stinking button was what was holding everything up :backoff

8. 6.9poweredscout

6.9poweredscout Bleeds IH red...

and a hammer and screwdriver.... :D

9. 94f450sd

94f450sd Supporting Member Supporting Member

That's why youre supposed to check every so often.wiggle it around a little and what's left of the tumblers will fall out.turn it and push the pin in.can also use a pin punch to drive the pin in

10. riotwarrior

riotwarrior Supporting Member Supporting Member

I just use my lock picks to get the cyl to move and push the pin...you can google Ford Lock pics for images or I could somehow take pics of them you can the cut them yourself....

11. RLDSL

RLDSL Diesel fuel abuser

I stopped every mm and checked, but what I didn't count on was the cheap stinking metal pushing together to where you couldn't tell that it had already broken through from the key assembly to the outer chamber. The stuff is so soft it all fused together like it was one piece while drilling

12. franklin2

franklin2 Full Access Member

The official method the factory manual tells you to do has already been mentioned; A hammer and a large screwdriver or chisel. Put the chisel behind the chrome piece, and hit it with a hammer to break the chrome piece off. Then you can get to the button to release it and the tumbler.

13. lindstromjd

lindstromjd Black Sheep

Ok, the chrome piece is now off, but it still won't turn. I guess I'll just keep at it with whatever combination of these methods ends up working for me.

14. GenLightening

GenLightening Yeah, it's a CHEVY!

The one I did for a friend took all of 2 mins with a Dyno Kwick Pick. Stupid easy to do.....
    At least I think it was his truck! LOL

15. lindstromjd

lindstromjd Black Sheep

Finally got it off and replaced... ended up driving a screwdriver down into the cylinder after breaking off the chrome piece, and broke off every one of the tumblers one by one using the bigger screwdriver. Used a small eyeglasses screwdriver to pick the tumblers out after they were broken off. Thanks everyone for the help. ;Sweet