how to prime a fresh rebuild/refreshened engine?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Google..

Pressurized engine oil primer

Choose images

You must be registered for see images attach

a simple tank with a tube that goes down near bottom...pour in clean oil...connect to air...voila pimpinpumpinlube through yer engine pressurizing all the oil galleys ass I said...

Nuff chatter get atter

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
Google..

Pressurized engine oil primer

Choose images
a simple tank with a tube that goes down near bottom...pour in clean oil...connect to air...voila pimpinpumpinlube through yer engine pressurizing all the oil galleys ass I said...

Nuff chatter get atter

Water fire extinguisher full of oil might be cheaper.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beer I need a beer the popcorn is making me thirsty( or is it anticipation of the compleation of build?)

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
still a week or 3 out.
still alot of work to be done.
just dropped all the exhaust off at the blasters.
oven getting installed after lunch
and i havnt touched the truck in weeks.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like that a lot Al but I would add a filter. You never know what kind of crap is in a tank like that.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
send the shop flunkie over to CVS/Walgreens/RiteAid for a 1 pound jar of vaseline. disassemble the oil pump and pack it with vaseline reassemble the oil pump, button up the pan and preload the oil filter. crank like hell with the starter without the glow plugs installed. seeing pressure is one thing, getting oil to the top of the valvetrain is better. when you see oil at the top of the rockers, stop then and finish assembling valve covers, glow plugs. your fuel system should be bled out at the same time you're checking for oil flow. two birds/one shot.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
shop flunkie? LOL
shop flunkies dont last more than 3 days at my shop..

off topic...
i hired a guy about 3 months ago..
to run my CNC.
told him the name of the game is PAYING ATTENTION.

you put the part in and press start.
when the cycle is finished, you pull the part out, and install another, then press start again.
while the part is being machined, you do a right face, and put the part on the inspection equipment.
you will have a part that fits 1 of 4 criteria.
good, bad, big, and broken.
after an hour of letting him run parts i came over and looked things over
good parts in the bad tray, big parts in the small tray. yadda yadda yadda.
after a 2 hour training on the inspection equipment i was satisfied that he could measure the parts correctly.
an hour later, same damn issue...
i asked him whats the issue?
he said " i wasnt paying attention"
"heres your check for the past 4 hours.. now goodbye.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No they pressurize them before they start them. They are test ran on a stand before installed.

Previous to, IIRC 1970, at least at the LEP (Ford Lima Engine Plant) the Cam, Crank and Rods where oiled separately, then the pan was filled on the assemble line.

I devised a method to fill/pressurize the engines on both engine assembly lines.

A 6" hydraulic cylinder is filled with the proper amount of oil depending on what engine was being run on the assembly line. A quick disconnect and oil filter was installed on the engine previous to fill station, next station, the fill line was attached to the engine with a quick disconnect. When running ~1400 engines in an 8 Hr shift, each station has 20 seconds to complete whatever has to be done at that particular station. IIRC there was/is ~365 stations.

At that time, there was 80 Hot test stands for the 8 cyl. and 80 stands for the 4 cyl., oil level was checked before and after test running.

LEP no longer makes any V8 or 4 cyl. engines, only the V6.

In 1960 there was 4200 people working there, now only about 800. It's a shame for a plant of 3.5 million sq. feet.

My statistics may be off a little, it's been 28 yrs. since I retired from there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online