how to prime a fresh rebuild/refreshened engine?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
how do you prime the oil galleys in an engine you have recently put together?

ive seen a video of it on some sort of lathe to spin the engine over at such a RPM that the oil system would do its job.

but i dont have one of those fancy machines.

whats the average way of doing it?

just fire it up?

yes, i used GOOD assembly lube on everything.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
For several builds I never bothered, just oil on bearings and such as I assembled. No issues. Nowadays I have a primer tool that goes in a drill or just use a 1/4" drive socket of appropriate size in a speed wrench for anythign that doesn't fit. Not sure how you'd do it with a gear drive... Personally I'd crank with glow plugs out until your gauge reads pressure.

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
For several builds I never bothered, just oil on bearings and such as I assembled. No issues. Nowadays I have a primer tool that goes in a drill or just use a 1/4" drive socket of appropriate size in a speed wrench for anythign that doesn't fit. Not sure how you'd do it with a gear drive... Personally I'd crank with glow plugs out until your gauge reads pressure.

Yeah, I hope you have better luck than me, I was using the starter, glow plugs not even hooked up yet, never did get any pressure on the gauge, still thought fuel was somewhere near the back of the cab when it started! Scared the ever-lovin' poop out of me! Finally showed pressure a couple of seconds after starting- and I too used lots of goood assembly lube.;Sweet

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thinking dry sump in an oil galley !?

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you use assembly lube it should be fine. My preference is to crank the engine without fuel or glow plugs until it gets oil to everything either by pressure gauge or just by leaving a connection (turbo works well) loose and looking for oil flow from it.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thinking dry sump in an oil galley !?

thinking about putting a high volume electric pump on the inlet of the oil system with the stock pump off, and pumping some fresh oil in it.
while rotating it.

then install the stock pump and slapping the pan on.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All ya gotta do is use a system like a pressureized brake nleeder...filled with oil...tied to an oil galley plug and fill 10 qts that way....best option....then spin w/o gp or fuel for a bit n voila...BOBs yer unncle.

Krqp it aint rocker science.....lol :sly

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only second thought is...
True assy. Lube slowly washes off after full oil pressure comes up, prelubbing would wash it off.
By the time ya button the new block up, there is no pre lube left ?!
If you could use the bung in oil cooler header? Or rear of drivers side galley( think turbo line) and pre lubb it just before firing it up ya would have pressure.

Last edited:

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i would just start it.let the lube do it's work,the oil pump will take it from there.;)

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always like to crank engine over with starter for about 10-20 seconds, prior to startup. You can pull the power going to IP to make sure it doesn't start. Doing that will get the oil pump circulating oil throughout engine. I would also plug in block heater 8 hours before startup. That will heat up the engine oil and make it flow that much easier during the first few minutes of run time. More heat=less engine wear.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Personally I'd crank with glow plugs out until your gauge reads pressure.

^^^ What he said.^^^

I've also packed the oil pump with vaseline to help prime the oil pump. Can't remember where i picked that up.

It took me 3 good long cranking sessions before I got pressure. Hook up the battery charger...
If you are running a mechanical pump, this cranking allows the fuel system to be purged. Remove the connection to the FSS. You don't want fuel squirting into the cylinders just yet.

After you get oil pressure, connect up the FSS, glow the plugs and let her rip!

Or just fire it up. You've used assembly lube. :)

You're going to video start-up, right? I want to see/hear this collection of pretty parts come to life.

Sorro71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the same thing with the Vaseline. I cranked it for 30 seconds at a time with a couple minutes break in between I think it was the second or third round when I got oil pressure up. Then when I got pressure I hooked up the FSS and turbo oil feed line then undid every injector line till they were very loose and cranked it until I had fuel coming out of all of them. Then tightened them up. Put the batteries on charge while I put the glow plugs in and let the batteries come back up to full charge. Did the once over to check I had everything hooked up then started as I would normally. I remember it started within a couple of seconds, it scared the hell out of me I wasn't expecting it to start that easily. I've only done about 1200km so far. On the first oil change at 1000km the oil looked good and when I cut open the oil filter for a look, I couldn't find any metal flake of other foreign matter.

Good Luck;Sweet

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You never want to start a fresh engine without pre lubing it. Even assembly lube may not be enough. I always used a clean bug sprayer with a fitting that screwed into the 1/8 pipe or 3/8 pipe oil galley plug.Put a couple qts in the sprayer and pump it up to fill the galleys. Dont forget to fill the oil filter before you screw it on.