how to prime a fresh rebuild/refreshened engine?

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
You now have seen that there are as many opinions as posters. I would bet that all have a satisfactory experience starting and running a new engine. I crank it with the FSS disconnected for about 10 seconds. Connect the FSS and let 'er rip. If you took care while building and have assembly lube on most everything, there should be plenty of protection until the oil gets there under pressure. The diesel pumps are high volume, not a lot of pressure, so if they work at all you are covered.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Drag it down the street with the glow plugs out. Being in 1st or 2nd gear will spin the engine fast enough to make pressure quickly. Otherwise just start it up but make sure the oil filter has been prefilled with oil. BTW you can't fill the oil filter completely to the top. It will still because the filter attaches on an angle to the block. Its not level. Having issues believing this. Try filling it and find out.:sly:D

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
. It will still because the filter attaches on an angle to the block. Its not level. Having issues believing this. Try filling it and find out.:sly:D

been there done this waisted a bit of oil doing it.
nothing worse than waisting good oil

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
been there done this waisted a bit of oil doing it.
nothing worse than waisting good oil

Yeah, there is. Forgetting to fill or not using enough. Been there. I would rather pour a quart or four on the ground than save one and burn up the engine.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I guess waist is still a word at least LOL LOL figured I'd be annoying enough that y'all would know it's me LOL

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Imo spinning the engine over just spins the parts and wipes the oil off. The pump pumps much better at running speeds than it does cranking

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Imo spinning the engine over just spins the parts and wipes the oil off. The pump pumps much better at running speeds than it does cranking

that's my thought too.
the quicker she lights up,the quicker she can build pressure.cranking is just spinning without oil pressure.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh for cripe sakes.
Brian, when its all set to go, just turn the key and dont worry about it lol. This thread is almost as bad as those ridiculous amsoil debates LOL.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh for cripe sakes.
Brian, when its all set to go, just turn the key and dont worry about it lol. This thread is almost as bad as those ridiculous amsoil debates LOL.
Except we all have usefull info....