How much money should I require back for this POS!

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
If you dont like cussing or swearing, DONT READ ANY FARTHER. Im not responsible if you get offended!
Alright, we pulled the tranny from my moms truck today to install a new rear main seal, and guess what else we found wrong with this PIECE OF crap. Both head gaskets are weeping at the rear, and the passenger one is LEAKING oil from the side just at the back of the head. I mean it looks like it was leaking pretty profusely. This is all bull crap if you ask me. The guy we bought this thing from said it was a brand new engine with only 3k on it before he wrecked the truck and pulled the engine. It's obvious that this is NOT true, and he bold faced lied to me about the condition of this engine on more than one point. Like most of you know, the crank case was full of water, proving his statement the thing was stored INSIDE was a lie. It leaks oil EVERYWHERE we didnt pull it apart and regasket it, and in terms of the rear main leaks there even though we did. We had to pull the intake and replace that as well as the valley pan because it was obvious he'd pulled the intake off and I wasnt going to trust it to seal, and to top it off one corner of the intake was cracked. He also had promised me that the engine hadnt had WMO ran through it, and by looks at the injectors, IT DID.
Im just sick of letting all this **** slide. We were alright with the intake and valley pan, and the rear main replacement is a given. I was tempted to call him up and require money back when we found water in the crank case but let that one slip too because Im a nice guy, but blown head gaskets is BULL crap!
We gave $1200 for this engine. Im thinking he needs to give back all but $4-500 of it. Because what we got instead of a (and I quote his words) "drop in and go running engine" I wouldnt even consider a core charge block and possibly a boat anchor. At this point I would have been better off tearing the original engine down and regasketing the thing!
He purposefully covered up the fact that this engine had a sham of a rebuild or had been beat to death when he owned it.

Last edited by a moderator:

FordGuy100

Reaction score
You did pick the engine up at that guys place didnt you?

Anyways, I would call him up. Dont start yelling right away, just openly and calmly call him on his lies. Dont start yelling until he start lieing to you again (which more than likely he will do). Then ask him for some of the money back.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Hey Justin.
No we had to have the thing shipped up to us. Originally we were going to go pick it up ourselves, but all our other vehicles were breaking and we didnt have time to go get it so we paid to have it shipped up here.
It was when we first saw it we noticed the intake and a few other things, but for the most part the engine was VERY clean. But its obvious that it was washed or something with all the leaks it has. HEY that may explain some of the water in the crank case!

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
Did you get anything in writing? If not, then you might have a hard case to prove. Good luck.
John

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
washing it wouldnt put that much water in there
ud think
like u said thats a bunch of BULL crap
i dont know what to tell u its furstrating i know

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I have all the emails he sent me stating everything, so... yea I have almost everything in writing.

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
I would try to get some money back. Go about nicely at first. He might be a good guy and want to make things right. If not, remind him you have all the e-mails stating what a good engine it was. Don't know if your case has any merit in court. I am not a lawyer by any means. Good luck.
John

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Yea, Im not going to start yelling right away, one reason Im not calling him tonight. Because I know myself to well and if I had called tonight it wouldnt have taken much to set me off.
I also dont know if emails count for much but I atleast have something to point and say, here is where you said it.
What ****** me off about it is if he'd had been honest about the whole thing we wouldnt have bought the thing, and used the $600+ we've already got into this engine (on top of the $1200, yes) and used it to rebuild the original engine.
It seems like we can never catch a break. Some one is ALWAYS lying about something, and it ends up biting US in the ass! We just got through a complete rear end failure because of a seller lying to us about THAT. What is the deal with people these days!
Anytime I sell something I ALWAYS describe it as it is, because I dont want any trouble with anything, so I always just put everything up front. Usually ends up making something harder to sell for me than for someone who'd lie about it, but atleast I wont go down south when its my time.

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
Yea, Im not going to start yelling right away, one reason Im not calling him tonight. Because I know myself to well and if I had called tonight it wouldnt have taken much to set me off.
I also dont know if emails count for much but I atleast have something to point and say, here is where you said it.
What ****** me off about it is if he'd had been honest about the whole thing we wouldnt have bought the thing, and used the $600+ we've already got into this engine (on top of the $1200, yes) and used it to rebuild the original engine.
It seems like we can never catch a break. Some one is ALWAYS lying about something, and it ends up biting US in the ass! We just got through a complete rear end failure because of a seller lying to us about THAT. What is the deal with people these days!
Anytime I sell something I ALWAYS describe it as it is, because I dont want any trouble with anything, so I always just put everything up front. Usually ends up making something harder to sell for me than for someone who'd lie about it, but atleast I wont go down south when its my time.

rember thats a good thing at how u do ur selling ;Sweet

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
How long did you have it before you installed it? A good laywer could say you got water in it when you cleaned it. Thats what they try to do right off the top or opening statement. Put you in the blame and shift you into defending yourself when it should be them defending themselves. Did you use a credit card? If so you can do a charge back for fraud but be careful. You really need to be able to make the case the motor is and was a pos. Maybe opening up the motor and "checking all the measurements" and new parts if any are in there. New bearings and pistons don't wear out like they have over 100,000 miles on them in the short amount of time you have run the motor. Pictures wouldn't have done any good either. No judge would know when they were taken. Now just maybe this guy knew nothing about this motor when he got it... Or he nows very well what it was. Thats the hard part to work out. How would you feel is some guy you sold something to called you about something like this. If you sold something in "go and run it condition" and it wasn't then you know what he will tell you. Best to be calm and maybe an Email is the best first step. At least that way you have something more than he said... You said... Its on undisputable paper. Best of luck. I've been there ans spent the money doing it... I didn't get a Tee shirt either...:D

Greg Pettit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You paid 1200 for a used unknown engine? Wow.

I don't think you're going to have much luck making someone reimburse you for not doing your homework.

Note to self.....don't buy any more used engines..... rebuild the one you have, it'll cost much less in the long run.....

Greg

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is exactly why I treat everything I buy as a core until I inspect it. 1200 would have bought a lot of parts to do a pretty nice overhaul. I know you know that now.
I would like to think that most if not all of us on the forum are honest about stuff, but most of the general publicI have had to deal with buying or selling are a pita.
sorry for your bad luck.
As ICFA said btdt.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would guess that when he put the motor in the truck it was now a "brand new" motor. Anytime anything is changed, even with a junkyard part, it it now in their mind "new".

I too have stopped believing people as to condition of cars and/or parts. I don't pay more for a car than what I can get back for it at the scrap yard when it turns out to be, well, ,,,, scrap.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Greg, how come this is like the third time you've come and practically posted Im a idiot in one of my threads? What did I ever do to you?????

FYI, these trucks are rare around here anymore, all of them in salvage yards have had the hoods removed and with them atleast I KNOW they are junk. I spent two months talking to this guy about this engine, had him send pics (which werent very good, but he did what I asked), and the person that shipped it up here for me was a friend of mine. We all looked at the thing as best as we possibly could have and decided that from what we could see of it it looked to be a good tight engine. I know its a fault of mine to give people these days credit enough to take them at their word as being an honorable human being, but like I said, its a major fault of mine to do that. So you're probably warranted in calling me an idiot.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert