How much different is a turbo idi?

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
For the record, ATS has given me several hours of phone consult time for free and helped me even find an aftermarket used ATS kit for my truck. They're willing to install it too.

I've had nothing but awesome service from them. Maybe it's because they know I can show up at their door in 15 minutes?

and ATS has horrible customer service.

Last edited:

Ottoparts

Whoa, that was fun!
Reaction score
I have a Banks sidewinder kit that I would like to put on my truck. Although my truck is just getting broken in at 124,000 on her. The only thing i really do not like the huge air intake box that says "sidewinder" on it. I want to come up with something different. But then I also plan on running an inter cooler. Part of me is eager to see and feel the results, the other part of me is like don't touch it as it aint broke.

big van

Nobody Special
Reaction score
I have a used Sidewinder kit for sale. If it fit my van I'd use it but it's for a pick-up & I'm not sure how much work it would be to adapt it for a van. I'm really thinking about ordering a Hypermax kit for the van! They're the only ones with a kit for vans.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I have a Banks sidewinder kit that I would like to put on my truck. Although my truck is just getting broken in at 124,000 on her. The only thing i really do not like the huge air intake box that says "sidewinder" on it. I want to come up with something different. But then I also plan on running an inter cooler. Part of me is eager to see and feel the results, the other part of me is like don't touch it as it aint broke.

I was exactly like that....I had my turbo on a shelf for like 5 months....and finally I got the itch to install. No looking back now ;Sweet. Once you get going, it aint so bad.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
ok here is my .02.

I got the kit from hypermax and it was 1850 to the door with everything (poor ups guy lol). Hypermax service is great and they really know not only their product but the idi engine. I highly recommend them.

that said I have never ridden in a banks or ats boosted truck so they may outperform mine. I too have a srw crew cab and it took a fairly slow rig ( I had a 5.8 bronco when I get my f350) and made it not as slow. What really got me was not the great gain in speed but the raw power it now has. I have only been above 5 psi once and yet the truck pulls so much harder (from low rpms all the way up). It really helps.

The hypermax kit can be installed in a long weekend with hand tools and no hoist, the banks kit I saw looked like a nightmare and then some. havnt seen ats to know.

I have had no issues with the turbo or caused by the turbo. Cooling system yes, the zf I put in yes, and the fuel system ( My truck sat for over a year before I got it) yes. I have most of the gremlins killed off now and I wouldnt give up my truck to pay rent.

hope this helps ( or at least stirs the s*it a bit:rotflmao )

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
I've owned three 6.9's. My first two were non-turbo and my current truck has an ATS on it with 4" exhaust (no muffler, glasspack, ect.). My first had a C6 tranny with 4.11 gears, so 60 mph was about it (even with 35" tires ... lol). My first did pull a semi and trailer weighing in at 78,900lbs. down the Bend Parkway at 25 mph without a problem (Amazed the truck driver and everyone else that drove by). My second had a 4 speed manual, but I wasn't impressed with the manual in all honesty (I hear the ZF5 is a better manual to go with). My current truck pulls like a dream (before it decided to have a bad day on me). I pulled a steep grade up out of Prineville, OR with a 1,550lb trailer and a '74 Nova on the trailer at 60 mph all the way up and was backing off the throttle because I was getting closer to 65 mph at the top. I reccomend the turbo. Don't get me wrong... My first two still did well, but blew alot more black smoke up the hills. I have 3.55 gears in mine and I get 20 mpg (highway) and 18 mpgin town with LT315/75R16 tires. This combination shocks people when they see just how fast this old heavy 4x4 can get up and move (even with the trailer behind it). I'll stay with my old diesel despite the fuel prices rather than buy some Honda because "There's no replacement for displacement".

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Typical experience. Hypermax usually gets rave reviews. I think the question becomes is it better for Troupp to upgrade to a Cummins or will he be happy with the IDI and turbo as a lot of us are. I honestly think all the turbo kits are good and even a well designed custom system would be great. I steered away from Banks because I had heard they were a PITA to access frequent service items like the glow plugs and injectors and return lines, still I seriously considered bidding on a used Banks non gated kit right before I bought the ATS unit I have. There was a member here that expressed interest in it and I don't know if he ever wound up getting it or not but I could not afford to outbid him and I really didn't want to buy it out from under him anyway. I've rarely heard any complaints about any of the turbo kits except:
ATS: customer service sucks since the new ownership came in
Banks: Expen$ive, moving away from IDI stuff
Hypermax: Difficult directions but the customer service and knowledge more than makes up for it.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really am surprised you could get that kind of fuel economy with a C6 and 3.55s. I was getting 13 if I was lucky. I really like the 4 speed manual but then I have yet to pull anything or haul any significant loads since the swap, First tank with the new tranny was 15-16mpg most all in town and suburbia.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would disagree. The kits available from Banks, ATS, or Hypermax have been out for over ten years....
Heath

Try 20 ;Really

The only thing a turbo can do to make an IDI less reliable, is to cause a head gasket leak which is in its imminent future anyway. Refresh the bolts or stud it, and it's all good with a new set of gaskets.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think a turbo could make it more likely for you too break something if you go crazy with your fuel settings, advance the timing way too much or let the thing overboost, but in general I agree with you Mel provided you watch those gauges and keep things fairly conservative, by that I mean <10psi and <1000*F is very safe for these motors.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I steered away from Banks because I had heard they were a PITA to access frequent service items like the glow plugs and injectors and return lines,

I don't know about the old system, but, the wastegated Sidewinder doesn't impede access the injectors/return caps at all. The glow plugs are not blocked once you get the air cleaner off.........except for one of them....The #8 glow plug is a PITA.LOL

Heath

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 088 leaves good access to the top of the engine as well. Just take off the air box and its all open. A good deep socket 1/4 drive is all thats needed to get at all the glow plugs. But I have beru plugs, so it will be a while before I have to change those;Sweet

I've even taken the injector pump out with out too much trouble with the turbocharger still in.

Are there any kits that really restrict access to the top of the engine?

Cornbinder

Reaction score
IDI TURBO

I have a 92 7.3 idi that i put a Banks sidewinder on 5 years ago, and it will spank my girlfriends 99 stroke any day of the week. Pulling or not! Sure it does have a little extra done to it, but I think the idi is plenty reliable since I drive mine like I stole it, and have for years.

I say head stud it, turbo it, and forget about the cummins. There's plenty of people in that cult already.;Sweet

troupp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, one of the cars I have out for sale just sold tonight. Soooo, I now have some of the money. I believe I'm going to end up going hypermax, It's not that I am looking for everything I can squeeze out of this truck, but it'd be nice if I wasn't holding up traffic pulling my boat to the lake. (literally) I also know that this truck will never lay down the 310 horse/ 700# that the worked cummins did. But I also don't have a $500 a month payment on this either. That goes a long ways towards just turboing it. Once the other truck sells, I may just end up getting BLOWN!!!

In the end, I'm too cheap for a newer truck payment and not smart enough to leave it alone!!

When's my install party?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The party really depends on where you live... I can see the Pacific Ocean from my house so you know qhat side of the country I'm in....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7