How much could my f350 handle?

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
My travelette 392 got 11 in town, highway, racing, idling or towing the scout. I had a '74 scout I put a 392 in that got 15. Brandon's 304 we fuel injected will get 18 on the highway doing 85.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The axles being only 6000# ea, that would limit a 12000# gross weight (trailer and load combined). Trailer weight 4500#, Jeep weight 6000#, you might getaway loading on two Jeeps, combined weight would be 16500#. Am I correct on this?

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
My f250 is registered for 32k as long as I'm in the state of ky. Maybe where you live will offer something like that?

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just another observation with that trailer, how high is the front of that deck when hitched to a truck? the picture shows a guy standing next to it i would guess in the 6' tall range, and the deck appears head level maybe a little taller.. with the weight of an old scout that may get get really top heavy sitting up there also... and add the height of the scout to that 6' deck... gonna be getting fairly high up there...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you can, add an extra axle to the trailer and you'll run safer. even at 6k x 3 axles, you'll be at 18k. keep in mind, Gross Vehicle Weight is the weight of the truck measured from the front and rear axles. a Gross Combined Weight is the weight you have on all the axles.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm wrong, someone please correct me if I am. All the performance mods we do to our trucks is great for extra power and hot rodding around town but doesnt it have a bad effect when trying to tow something heavy? I can hit 900+ on the pyro with my truck climbing grades empty, cant imagine what a loaded trailer would do to that. Seems like I've heard guys mention this around here before.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
Yeah I think adding a axle will definitely help. I was thinking I'd probably do that. If you drive by the pyro towing isn't bad. Just instead of doing 70 sometimes you do 55 in a lower gear to help cool the temps down.

BrandonBerkosky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just another observation with that trailer, how high is the front of that deck when hitched to a truck? the picture shows a guy standing next to it i would guess in the 6' tall range, and the deck appears head level maybe a little taller.. with the weight of an old scout that may get get really top heavy sitting up there also... and add the height of the scout to that 6' deck... gonna be getting fairly high up there...

That Guy Is Me! 5'10" fyi

BrandonBerkosky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With a tail wind... :D

The 304/345/392's a very stout engine for a g@$$er, but fuel economy's NOT one of their strong points...even in a pickup truck or Scout running empty, one would be considered lucky to get 10 mpg out of one :shocked:

The Fuel Infected Scout Jon Is Talking About Is My Scout Two With TBI 304/T19/3.55 WillGet 18-19 On The Highway. Note: ThatIs With 235/75/15. At A Speed OfAbout 65. I Can Do 85 No Problem But The Economy Drops Slightly. IWouldn't Believe It Either But I See It With My Own Eyes. And Wallet!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online