How hot is too hot????

ynotracing2221

Reaction score
I was just wondering how hot is really to hot on egt. I was always told to stay under 1200 to stay safe?

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1200° is very conservative however, I wouldnt run my rig at a consistant 1300° for hours on end either. Short spikes and quick pulls up above that are common for me though.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What temp exactly I don't know but I'll put it like this........Pistons are Aluminum and depending on the alloy most aluminum alloys melt around 1050F to 1450F. I don't know which alloy Navistar used so I'd err on the side of safety.

Other factors come into play with how long you keep it at these temps and coatings that are put on pistons these days too.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Your fine to 1250... You can pull all day at 1250 and not hurt a thing. passing and such, ya can go as high as you want for a few seconds. But only a few seconds-10-15...

WOW~ I have not posted here in a long time...LOL Time to update the sig...

alabamatoy

Reaction score
I have an autometer guage, which I am beginning to believe is junk brand. I checked the exahust manifold where the EGT sensor is with a non-contact IR thermometer and it showed about 40 deg hotter than my EGT guage was showing. If the error is linear, then that's like 150 deg off when its reading 1300. Also, mine istarting to jump all over sometimes, like meltdown temps one second and then back to reasonable. Sometimes I can just tap on the guage and get EGTs to drop almost 100 deg! What a mod, eh?

I think autometer guages are junk. I have 5 across 2 vehicles and I aint happy with any of them. Next time, different brand.

justblowin'smoke

Reaction score
I have an autometer guage, which I am beginning to believe is junk brand. I checked the exahust manifold where the EGT sensor is with a non-contact IR thermometer and it showed about 40 deg hotter than my EGT guage was showing. If the error is linear, then that's like 150 deg off when its reading 1300. Also, mine istarting to jump all over sometimes, like meltdown temps one second and then back to reasonable. Sometimes I can just tap on the guage and get EGTs to drop almost 100 deg! What a mod, eh?

I think autometer guages are junk. I have 5 across 2 vehicles and I aint happy with any of them. Next time, different brand.

i'd check connections b/c i've only had one problem with the 4 i've had and that was a bad ground in my old truck

DieselRecon

Reaction score
Piston melts at 1400 degrees

Exhaust temps should never go over 1200 for long engine life. Pistons melt at 1400 degrees. One thing a lot of people don't consider is the temp reading is an average temp reading. You could easily have one cylinder way over 1200 degrees and not even know it, till it melts. :eek:

alabamatoy

Reaction score
i'd check connections b/c i've only had one problem with the 4 i've had and that was a bad ground in my old truck

Nah, these things are just tinkertoys. What kind of guages fog up for crying out loud? Wham-o makes better stuff than Autometer. Next time, different brand.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exhaust temps should never go over 1200 for long engine life. Pistons melt at 1400 degrees. One thing a lot of people don't consider is the temp reading is an average temp reading. You could easily have one cylinder way over 1200 degrees and not even know it, till it melts. :eek:
If I didnt let my EGT's go over 1200 I wouldnt get very far.

alabamatoy

Reaction score
If I didnt let my EGT's go over 1200 I wouldnt get very far.

Agree. No mods to my engine other than irrelevant stuff like the AIH removal and a coolant filter, and it will sing happily for long periods of time pulling a trailer on long hills at over 1200deg. Course based on my highly scientific evaluation using the IR thermometer, the guage reading is a bit high. Or was it low?

CSIPSD

Reaction score

I have drivers side and passanger side pyros... Passanger runs about 50-75 hotter then the drivers side.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online