How embarrassing

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
:) When I bought my three truck deal, my first adventure in 6.9 ownership, the tow truck was an 85 F350 with a 6.9 NA. He brought the 460 equipped F10 home easily, the 4X4 87 F250 gave that wrecker all it wanted, but before getting the 85 F350 4X4 Dually home, he had broken one rear axle, wrung the teeth off his pinion gear, forcing removal of both rear axles and the rear drive shaft and then he couldn't make the hill to my house with just the front end pulling. You probably aint going to like this, but I hooked my 2 wheel drive Chevy, 5.0 L extended cab to him and finished pulling him and my new purchase home. It was only a short distance and he could help, just couldn't stop spinning his fronts trying to pull that load. Anyway, my Ford loving buddy was there, he still gets **** over it!!!

Personally, I love the 6.9 and 7.3, but would not have my 87 if is was a Ford gasser.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
GRuss said:
That's the second time it's been on the hook and the last time was a IH (4300?) with the 7.3 so it's always been under IH power :)

That’s good that your truck has kept its dignity. ;Sweet

When I lost to the Big C a couple of years ago, the Blizzard came home from NM on a gooseneck behind a new dodge Cummins dually. :mad: The driver told me he was right at 26k total weight (his truck, the trailer, my truck, and the camper loaded in my bed), and he was exactly @ 13’6”.

That was one picture I didn’t take.:Sly

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm.... Two thoughts come to mind. One, I think it's Russ that needs replacing and not his truck, if that's all it took to fix it. Sounds like a parking lot fix to me. And two... why not just phone the wife, and have her come and tow you with the Maverick? LOL

Sorry Russ... ;p

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Well, I would have fixed it on the spot, but it was up to the front axle in snow and slush, and the only tool I had in the truck was a small screw driver. BTW No hitch on the Maverick.

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forget all the talk about tow trucks and stuff...I just got one question - What the hell is all that white crap on the ground!!! :puke: :D

Aww just kidding - glad it was an easy fix too! ;Sweet I've not been around in awhile - What's all this talk of a replacement???!!??? :draw

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Eric the rust monster is starting to take hold. And I've been wanting a CC SRW. I'm just waiting for the right one to come along.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I figured as much. :D Just wanted to razz ya. LOL

WILLD

Reaction score
It's always the time that you took the tools out cause you were cleaning the truck and then you run somewhere for a quick trip that gets you. Not when you are 500 miles from the nearest town and you have every tool known to man and all the spares you'll ever need.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Ok now this is getting old. Had another no start today. Towed it some with the Maverick, then had a Dads PSD tow it the rest of the way home. Solinoid on fender clicks, as does the one on the starter, but the starter wont spin. Bad contactes in the startedr itsself?

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Sounds like it's time for a rebuild or replacement. :puke:
Must be the month for starters.......Dang Gremlins.
Could be the brushes getting worn down or a bad spot causing not contact.

Just a thought.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that Russ. The only thing worse than getting towed home, is getting towed home twice for the same reason. (or I guess almost the same reason)

It does sound like starter time, but have you tried jumper-ing out the solenoid on the fender? It may be clicking, but not getting the job done. (just a thought)

On a similar note, what’s the consensus on starter replacement? Rebuild existing? Or is there a good off the shelf exchange source?

Last edited:

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Kinda hard to say bout rebuilding one. Never done it here and no shops around close to have it done. Got a GOOOD source on new ones at the local NAPA. $235.00 for new, $247.00 for lifetime rebuild. cookoo
Got my answer. ;Sweet

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Tried jumping on th efender and on the starter too. No good. At least it's a bit warmer out this weekend.