how does this even happen?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gary, the cracks are all from the inside.
I have not torn it apart yet. but looking at it yesterday, the crack seems to spider from the outter bolt of #2 main cap.
looks like I *****'d it.
it was not in the machine shop.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gary, the cracks are all from the inside.
I have not torn it apart yet. but looking at it yesterday, the crack seems to spider from the outter bolt of #2 main cap.
looks like I *****'d it.
it was not in the machine shop.

Are you thinking something with torqueing over and over comparijg plasti guage readings plain caps to girdled etc?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you thinking something with torqueing over and over comparijg plasti guage readings plain caps to girdled etc?

preliminary. really tryin to get to it, but priority's.....

inlight of watching parts of the country burn has me spending a lot of time with the family.

tradergem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TahoeTom

You must be registered for see images attach

Your are correct Tom. Fore example, if the torque adapter length "A" is 1ft. in front of the center of the torque wrench head it increases the length of the torque wrench and therefore increases the torque. If the adapter is moved 90 degrees to the center of the torque wrench then there is no increase in total length of the torque wrench and the torque is what you have set the wrench to. And of course if the adapter is aligned behind the head of the torque wrench then it will in effect reduce the total length of the torque wrench and reduce the torque.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Your are correct Tom. Fore example, if the torque adapter length "A" is 1ft. in front of the center of the torque wrench head it increases the length of the torque wrench and therefore increases the torque. If the adapter is moved 90 degrees to the center of the torque wrench then there is no increase in total length of the torque wrench and the torque is what you have set the wrench to. And of course if the adapter is aligned behind the head of the torque wrench then it will in effect reduce the total length of the torque wrench and reduce the torque.

So how do I reverse this formula to determine A length when total torque required is around 650 lbs ft and tq wrench is adjusted to 200 lbs ft?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So how do I reverse this formula to determine A length when total torque required is around 650 lbs ft and tq wrench is adjusted to 200 lbs ft?

I didn't rearrange the equation but if you put 6' in for A and the wrench is 1.5' (18") you get a wrench setting of 130 ft lbs for 650 ft lbs applied. The lengths set the fraction. If using 6 feet and 1.5 feet you get a multiplier of 0.2. 0.2 x TA desired value gives you what you set the wrench to.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After playing with the calculator on this page http://www.engineersedge.com/manufacturing_spec/calculator/torque_adapter_extension.htm
I came up with the extension length of 40.5 inches in order to achieve 650ft-lbs at the bolt with 200ft-lbs indicated on a 18 inch long torque wrench.

60 inch ext with 24 inch (L) gives about 183 lbs ft reading.....looks like I am making a 60" extension set up for 1/2" in 3/4" out....that will require at least two men and a small boy to operate :rotflmao

King pins here I come....or buy a multiplier.....might be smarter....

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's how I did my king pins. Had to have a buddy help hold the truck down. No cab or motor. She wouldn't sit still. I needed more lever because my wrench only goes to 125 ft lbs I think.

I made mine by welding a 7/8" impact socket on the end of the pipe on one end and a cheap HF extension on the other end. FYI, 1" black iron pipe is not quite strong enough. I put a bit of a bend in it before the wrench clicked on the second one. I tried just cutting the extension in half and welding the ratchet end on one end and the socket end on the other. HF extension said no thank you at about 500 ft lbs applied. ;Really

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably use 2" squaretubing 1" deep impact 1/2" drive in driven end a 3/4 " ext welded into other...

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man... this has got to be a thread jacking for the books.

Sorry Brian. :rotflmao

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man... this has got to be a thread jacking for the books.

Sorry Brian. :rotflmao

if anything, it got my ass in gear to tear the block down LOL

updates soon!

make you jerks get back on track :D

seriously tho, I don't mind at all, I see it as a intermission, with a good commercial filled with a buncha goofballs

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance