how does this even happen?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marking the stud is a good idea and I agree the crows foot would effect torques 18 years ago I could tell you how much. I used to work in a calibration lab in the US Navy but slot of that info has since been flushed from memory.

you squids couldn't calibrate a gig line from a tow rope LOL
<Never Again Volunteer Yourself vet as well :D

manimal

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a shot in the dark here but when torquing down the nuts for the studs did the studs try and tighten inside the block as well? Were the studs hex keyed so you could use a crows foot with a torque wrench while holding the stud steady?
Not familiar with using studs on internal engine use but thought might be worth considering.

This is exactly why I would back them out 1/8th turn.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could build a crows foot from a 12 point box end wrench if you can't find one. Most torque wrenches come with a little pamphlet... must be instructions or something because I usually throw it away without looking at it... anyway, the equation for the torque multiplication is easy to work. You just need to know the length of the crows foot and it will give you the reduced torque to set the wrench to for the desired torque at the fastener. I did this to be able to tighten my pinion nut with my 120 ft lb torque wrench. Also torqued my king pins to 625 ft lbs with my 120 ft lb torque wrench. :D

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could build a crows foot from a 12 point box end wrench if you can't find one. Most torque wrenches come with a little pamphlet... must be instructions or something because I usually throw it away without looking at it... anyway, the equation for the torque multiplication is easy to work. You just need to know the length of the crows foot and it will give you the reduced torque to set the wrench to for the desired torque at the fastener. I did this to be able to tighten my pinion nut with my 120 ft lb torque wrench. Also torqued my king pins to 625 ft lbs with my 120 ft lb torque wrench. :D

What's the math on that? My dad wants me to do his other wheel bearing. 150ft lb torque wrench and 165ft lb spec

1983 f350 6.9 zf5 2wd srw single cab long bed. Facet duralift, optima red tops, bfg all terrains, 4" exhaust from y pipe back, autometer z series pyro, pump turned up 2 flats

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here you go.

http://www.engineersedge.com/manufacturing_spec/torque_wrench_1.htm

Because torque is a linear function, you essentially set up a ratio. (Torque desired/ torque wrench length) over the sum of the torque wrench length and the attachment. That should give you the setting on the wrench for the desired torque with adapter. You should come up with a setting LOWER than the desired torque value. If you don't, check your math.

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here you go.

http://www.engineersedge.com/manufacturing_spec/torque_wrench_1.htm

Because torque is a linear function, you essentially set up a ratio. (Torque desired/ torque wrench length) over the sum of the torque wrench length and the attachment. That should give you the setting on the wrench for the desired torque with adapter. You should come up with a setting LOWER than the desired torque value. If you don't, check your math.

Thanks man

1983 f350 6.9 zf5 2wd srw single cab long bed. Facet duralift, optima red tops, bfg all terrains, 4" exhaust from y pipe back, autometer z series pyro, pump turned up 2 flats

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To continue the hijack, I have seen stated if the crows foot is at right angles to the torque wrench the leverage and torque is not increased. If the crows foot was placed backward, would the torque be decreased? It seems it would work that way, but the torque at the head of the torque wrench is the same no matter the orientation of the extension. ???

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
********* online pirate terrorists!
keep hijacking tho, I wont be getting to my engine till next week.
and this subject is pretty interesting.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To continue the hijack, I have seen stated if the crows foot is at right angles to the torque wrench the leverage and torque is not increased. If the crows foot was placed backward, would the torque be decreased? It seems it would work that way, but the torque at the head of the torque wrench is the same no matter the orientation of the extension. ???

Hmm... have to think about that. Torque is a vector. I suppose it's possible to cancel out the crows foot if you are not adding force in the torque direction. I'm not sure at all about that though. Someone would have to prove it to me with math.

fsmyth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good reason to blow all the crud out of your bolt holes. Could have caused it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Brian where did you get this block with the crack. Was it ever out of you sight like in the hands of a machine shop. Look for any damage like from a fork on a lift truck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7