How can I fix my a/c?

7.3shrk

Ok, so summer is winding down, and I am getting around to fixing my a/c. I am a little slow... what is the best way to retrofit my a/c system? can I just dump in the stuff in the can, or do I need to change a bunch of things to retrofit the r-134 in place of the r-12?

Thanks,

Nick

Exekiel69

Reaction score
What year truck is it? Where are You located? You can put the 134a in but it is a good idea to vacuum the system first and see if it holds any vacuum so You won't dump refrigerant in a leaky system. Once You have it recharged You need to use a refrigerant precharged the the oil in it.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2.

It's also important to get the old oil out so you don't end up with too much oil and too little refrigerant in your system. It's ******* the compressor seal(don't ask me how I know). While you have it open replace the o-rings as they are dirt cheap and if you're low on refrigerant you've got a leak, however small, somewhere. You might as well replace the accumulator ($30) and orifice tube ($3) since they tend to get plugged up as they age.

Having just done this to my truck within the last 5 weeks I can assure you it's not that hard just be patient and fix your leaks before charging the system. It gets expensive quick wasting refrigerant (again don't ask me how I know)

Good luck.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've done a number of retrofits, I've done well by evacuating the system for an hour or more, then re-charging with the R-134a and oil.

R-134a does not cool as well as R-12, but it's better than a non working system. The factory R-134a systems have much larger components to make up for the lower efficiency.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
All it takes is a retrofit kit from Carquest to get the R134A fittings to replace the R12 fittings. I did a 134A retrofit to my 91 this summer, works great. Pressure test with nitrogen to 100psi, if it holds then vacuum it for 15-25 minutes and recharge it. The main thing is to try and get all the old peg oil out that you can as it doesn't mix very well with the ester oil that R134A uses.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get a variable orifice tube, works way better with the retro components. 13 bucks IIRC.

ramon f350

Reaction score
you need to make sure and replace the dryer and the orfice tube and make sure you get all the old freon and pag oil out/. I use brake cleaner and then blow it out from the dryer side it will come out on the end where the house conects to the back of the compressor. It usually takes about a can and a half. the pull a vacum on it for about 30 mins. to make sure you get the moisture out and there are no leaks after that recharge it normally. watch your high side 134a tries to run a little high head pressure that r12 does.

hope this helps
Ramon

devildog88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why do you convert it to r13a? Why not just leave it r-12 :dunno

7.3shrk

As for the conversion, I have to do it because the damn thing is empty, and the wife wants a/c (Do not know why she refuses to roll down the window).

I did the retrofit - replaced o-rings, charged it, and am praying it holds!

Thanks for the help!

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
It's hard to get R12 now, there is a wierd blend refrig out there that you don't need to do the conversion, can't remember the name/number for it.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Someone posted a link to an on line store for the vacuum pump You need to drain the system from moisture, maybe You guys remember.