Homemade intake....it works!

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
Well I setout to build a new intake without hacking up the rad support. I had a elbow laying around from a 00 Powerstroke & also had a piece of 4" PVC pipe too. I cut a grove on the bottom of the pipe to help it clear the AC line & also help aid water clearing before it got to the filter. I finally drove it last night & am happy to report that it seemed to drop the EGTs around 100* & also seemed to cool off quicker when I let off the throttle too. I might try a few more tricks with it but so far I'm rather happy. Didn't seem to make it 5 seconds faster but then again they aren't really tire roasting trucks either. LOL

You must be registered for see images attach

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's great but unless they changed intake cold air runners in 93, my 88 mine pics up air from the same place and it's OE factory.
Was your factory tube missing:confused:

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
That's great but unless they changed intake cold air runners in 93, my 88 mine pics up air from the same place and it's OE factory.
Was your factory tube missing:confused:

Nope, I had the old classic style but I just didn't like it. I changed it to the homemade one & dropped about 100* & cools off quicker when coasting. It was free & lowered my EGTs, can't argue with that! ;Sweet
This was the older setup I had...

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
hammerdown, can u get a pic of ur "factory" set up?

catrebel, isnt it awsome? id try to get it right in front of the grill if i were u...that way it can reall suck some air in. im gunna drill a drain hole in mine and use either a fine mesh screen or a pair of ***** hose to cover the end so no big debris goes inside.

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
hammerdown, can u get a pic of ur "factory" set up?

catrebel, isnt it awsome? id try to get it right in front of the grill if i were u...that way it can reall suck some air in. im gunna drill a drain hole in mine and use either a fine mesh screen or a pair of ***** hose to cover the end so no big debris goes inside.

Yep I like it, I might do more with it though. I just wanted to see what I could do intake wise without hacking up the radiator support. Now that the weather is warmer I can sit outside & stare at it some more till an idea pops into my head.

but the opening is smaller and its only getting ait from where the gap is between the hood and headlight/grill.

^^^^ What he said, not as much air sneaking under the hood as there is to the side of the grill.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the factory one is shaped like it is to minimize the possibility of water getting in the intake. They sacrificed some efficiency to make sure they didn't get any warranty motor work from some idiot driving in water.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the factory one is shaped like it is to minimize the possibility of water getting in the intake. They sacrificed some efficiency to make sure they didn't get any warranty motor work from some idiot driving in water.
Exactly my thinking...last thing I would want is my engine swallowing any water during a heavy rain storm w/going down the highway :eek:

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly my thinking...last thing I would want is my engine swallowing any water during a heavy rain storm w/going down the highway :eek:

I've been in blinding rain...never had a problem...

mine is ziptied to the pass hood...driver side is for just engine air and help vent the heat...works GREAT!!!

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a Boss 429 scoop on my Linc, the biggest one Ford made, with two big openings cut under it to get the air flow going - I've had the car through rains so heavy 18-wheelers pull over, and I've never had a drop of water on the engine. I gotta find me one for the truck now too, cause the underhood temperatures get a bit too high for my liking (even tho the engine temp itself is normal). Wanderer, mind if you post some pics of the underhood side of these scoops and the intake plumbing?

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score

You've never been wheeling with the stock IDI intake have you? It pulls in water too. I have a groove cut on the bottom of mine to help shead any water that might try to enter. Still not perfect but then again the only true way to keep water out of it is to run the intake inside the cab like the hard core boggers do. LOL

Wanderer-rrorc
That's a nice setup, I've always wondered how those ram air things work on these truck....opps I mean vans too! :D

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been in blinding rain...never had a problem...

mine is ziptied to the pass hood...driver side is for just engine air and help vent the heat...works GREAT!!!

I wasn't thinking about rain at all. It's that solid wall of water that you drive through when you hit a watery mud hole too fast. It seems like gas burners can take a gulp or two of water that way better than diesels can. I guess its the difference in compression ratio.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat