homemade bypass filter

trekker6

Reaction score
I have the Ralph Woods motorguard filter, it's cheaper and easier to clean than the franz filter, I noticed his site is off, but he may be converting the motorguard filters again for the toilet bypass use.

emmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found and ordered a Baldwin head (OB-1305) for the B-50 filter............. $33.95 (approx).
B-50 filter - about 6 bucks..............Micron rating of the B50 is 2 and it is 98.75% efficient (at this micron size)

so far $ 42.95.

I am almost certain I can keep this below $125.00 (even using 1 wire hydraulic hoses) ;)

Last edited:

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently put a 1 micron Racor LFS bypass filter on my 6.9L IDI, doing before and after oil contaminant analysis. In just under 600 miles, it knocked the ISO cleanliness code down two full levels (about a 70 percent decrease in contaminants) from 18/13 to 16/11. The info that I got from Racor indicates that in a couple of thousand miles, it can bring it down to 14/10 or lower, which is generally cleaner than new oil (16/10 or so usually).

The Racor flows about 0.4 GPM and has a 0.040 orifice on the return side to restrict flow. The restrictor is on the return so that the unit can fill and bleed easily. That's the important thing if you do a homebilt system... having that restriction. Otherwise you may see a drop of oil pressure. If you combine a bypass with a good primary filter, like the FL1995 PSD unit, you can get super clean oil.

The 6.9Ls don't (at least '86 and back... not sure about the '87) have the easy hookup ports mentioned above, so I had to improvise a little but the Racor LFS 873F kit fits the 7.3IDI and early PSD. I haven't compared prices betwen the Amsoil and the Racor LFS, but I suspect the Racor is less expensive. I'll leave you to do the shopping on that!

Break in is the time to get your filtration house in order. that's when your engine will toss of the most wear metals, plus there is usually some junk in the engine from machining and assembly (unless you assembled it at a NASA lab, or something).

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Well you guys got me thinking. If the Amsoil mount is only $18, whats the filter cost?

Jim what did the Racor set you back?

I wanna price my options .:cool

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Racor was a test unit, so I don't know the price. I did buy a Racor LFS trans filter setup a while back and found a killer sale price on it, so I advise shopping around. Google Racor LFS673F.

It was a really complete kit and adapted easily to my 6.9L. I have posted a pic below. The arrows point to where I mounted the filter head and the return went into the Banks adapter for the CDR valve. Below, I tapped into the rearmost of the oil gallery plugs just forward of the filter housing. I couldn't tee into the one at the back (where the OP swx goes) because that now feeds my turbo. There was plenty of hose with the kit to do these slight changes in routing from the 7.3L IDI

insto
You must be registered for see images

sassyrel

Reaction score
Well you guys got me thinking. If the Amsoil mount is only $18, whats the filter cost?

Jim what did the Racor set you back?

I wanna price my options .:cool

last time i checked the amsoil mount alone--it was wayyyy more than that--

sassyrel

Reaction score
The Racor was a test unit, so I don't know the price. I did buy a Racor LFS trans filter setup a while back and found a killer sale price on it, so I advise shopping around. Google Racor LFS673F.

which lfs??? i looked,and theres three diff one--you just have the sandwich one???

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The trans setup or the engine bypass. They use LFS for both... which is kinda confusing. The engine was the LFS873F. Trans was LFS22822-4, both of which are on the '86 now. Not sure what you mean by "sandwich one?" You can read about the trans LFS unit in the latest Four Wheeler (Fed 2010) and in the past (Jan 2010) issue of Diesel World.

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found and ordered a Baldwin head (OB-1305) for the B-50 filter............. $33.95 (approx).
B-50 filter - about 6 bucks..............Micron rating of the B50 is 2 and it is 98.75% efficient (at this micron size)

so far $ 42.95.

I am almost certain I can keep this below $125.00 (even using 1 wire hydraulic hoses) ;)

good stuff. keep us informed about what parts you use.I'm totally gonna copy you.

emmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good stuff. keep us informed about what parts you use.I'm totally gonna copy you.

yep I sure will. My filter head doesn't come in for another 8 days (or so).. and then I'll start mounting it and then attach the hoses :sly

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since the filter head doesn't come with a restriction what is your plan for that?

emmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since the filter head doesn't come with a restriction what is your plan for that?

your absolutely right it doesn't, but the filter b-50 (baldwin) or pb50 (fram) filter, has a built in restrictor.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
last time i checked the amsoil mount alone--it was wayyyy more than that--

The kit is around $200 retail, but last time I bought just the filter head , it was only about $18 dealer cost on the thing. and that;s the way I always install the things. There;s never enough hose in the kit to do what I want anyway and I don't like the pan tap setup so its just a whole bunch of stuff I'll never use for an installation., but their pan tap and their hose is what runs the price up on those kits for the single remote THey use some seriously high end hose If you go to a Parker store that stuff costs as much as Aeroquip

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle